Not Feeling Confident With Plumber

AcadiafunApril 30, 2014

My daughter's house and my house have plumbing issues we are starting to address.

First my house has three bathrooms, one that had a shower drain leak, and one that I will probaly need to gut. My plumber has excellent reviews and referred the major work to another plumber who will give me an estimate later today for the bathroom that needs gutted and my daughter's cracked shower.

But in the meantime he is fixing one shower leak and capping a gas line in the basement that went to an old gas space heater that I don't need. After replacing the shower strainer he also needed to untangle the the weird installation of the lines which is all in the basement.

My issue- He needs to reconnect the lines also to the basement shower. When I checked on the progress I told him that I am sure he knew this but could he make sure there were shut off valves to the basement shower. He acted surprised and told me they did not originally have shut off valves but he would put them in. He also said it would have been nice if I had told him that before he went to the store for supplies.

Huh? I don't understand this. Wouldn't a plumber who is fixing your plumbing know this? And there were shut off valves which I pointed out to him as the pipes he cut out were still on the floor. I may be blonde and female but seriously I know what a shut off valve is and have done minor plumbing repairs before.

Super ticked off right now. Angie's list gives him an "A" rating.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eholmes1

Trust your instincts! I went with a roofer that had great reviews and now I think he wrote them all himself.

The last plumber I hired, highly recommended by a friend, installed a sink that was visibly crooked. I mean, very, very crooked. I gave him a level and he didn't know what to do with it. My boyfriend wound up redoing it-- and even though he's not a plumber, he did a much better job.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this -- it's aggravating!

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 12:01PM
Acadiafun

Maybe I was too harsh and should have communicated this better to him. I think I just assumed he would know to do this. I guess if I look at it another way- a customer might get angry at the added expense to do more than was agreed upon. Another assumption on my part was that it was agreed upon to do this because shut off valves only make sense to me. I know now for the next plumbing job to make sure I am very clear on what I want done. This might take some research on my part when I get the other two bathrooms worked on.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 2:40PM
geoffrey_b

Not to make excuses for the guy but it sounds like you requested that he install shut off valves for the shower.

There doesn't have to be shut offs - he can just shut the water off (for the entire house) while he repipes.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 4:29PM
toxcrusadr Clay Soil

IMHO a good plumber would have asked before he started whether you wanted those valves replaced that were going to be removed with the old piping, so it would not have mattered if you forgot. And unless they were a weird size, he should have had some in his truck. What kind of a plumber has to buy all his supplies for every job? My FIL is a plumber and his truck has all the common stuff right there so he doesn't have to make trips back to the shop. Well, he always does, but it's one trip instead of two. :-]

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 4:37PM
geoffrey_b

@toxcrusadr: "a good plumber would have asked before he started whether you wanted those valves replaced that were going to be removed "

If you would read the original post it clearly states that: "He acted surprised and told me they did not originally have shut off valves"

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 1:16PM
robo (z6a)

"And there were shut off valves which I pointed out to him as the pipes he cut out were still on the floor."

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Bad contractor web site
is there a site to post contractor complaints on??? Just...
jimrac
Frozen Sump Pump Hose: How to Prevent ?
Our sump pump recently failed due to the exit hose...
ozziepuppy
Neighbor's yard is full of junk
We live in a quiet, middle class neighborhood. Neighbors...
rubber_duckie_27
Getting cat urine smell out of carpet...
What's the best way? Or what's the best thing to make...
nadastimer
Bleach stains on bathtub
My son just moved into an apt., and the tub area was...
wishnwell
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™