New DVR Hookup..

andrelaplume2January 21, 2010

Well, my cable co now requires a box on all tvs. This renders the 'ease of use' of my Vcr and dvd recorder usless unless I also get converter boxes for them, have them programmed to turn on at certain times for channel 4, remember to leave the DVR on the right channel etc etc...ie technologically step back to the 70s!

Well I know when I am beat so I leased a dvr from the cable co. I admit it works realy nice. I wondered if I could connect the DVR output to my DVD recorder and burn content to a disc for viewing on another tv.

FYI: Right now the DVR Coax OUT goes to my tube tv's coax IN. The DVR red and white audio OUT goes to my Old Kenwood Receiver Audio IN. I usually just use 'tv' sound but its nice to turn the receiver on for some shows and I also run my dvd player thru it.

Anyway, I thought I could take the coax OUT from the back of my TV and run it to the coax IN on my dvd recorder and then see whatever I was watching on the DVR and record it. Well, all I get is static...not sure why.

Next, for the hell of it, I took the VIDEO OUT(yellow rca jack) from the back of the DVR and plugged it directly into the VIDEO IN (yellow rca jack) on the back of the dvd recorder. Boom! It worked...whatever I am watching on the DVR appears on the DVD recorder AND it records it. But I have no sound!

There is only on set of audio OUT jacks on the DVR....and I need those to go to my Receiver.....

How do I get the sound to my dvd recorder?

FYI

I thought maybe my receiver had audio OUT jacks but I see none explicitly labbeled as such. I saw something called: Monitor and tried to run them to the DVD recorder but that yeilded no sound...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jdbillp

Get a couple of Y cords and split your audio to feed both your dvd recorder and your tv.

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 5:15PM
andrelaplume2

Come on, can it be that simple? Is tehre a degradayion in sound? Someone was saying I need an A/B switch but that sounds easier....?

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 9:02AM
jdbillp

If there is any sound degragation, it will be SO slight as to not worry.

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 12:20AM
More Discussions
cheap tv
got a nice working fully functional 32" lcd yesterday...
stoveguyy
plug-in tart warmers - parchment-paper safe?
Hi, re: plug-in wax-tart warmers: Is it safe to cover...
jally
Sound Goes Off Occasionally on TV
I have a Sharp ACQUOS TV. A few days ago, I started...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Need a new Tv, thoughts on led/plasma
Im in the market to get a new tv. I have always preferred...
aellis722
POTS phone extension over local ethernet?
Through a mess up in communication I got a gigabit...
rwiegand
Sponsored Products
Sisal Twill Wallpaper Red Double Roll
Ballard Designs
Braided Area Rug: Jefferson Copper 7' x 9'
Home Depot
Spoon Stool by Kartell
$750.00 | Lumens
Kartell | Maui Soft Chair, Armless
YLiving.com
Pre-owned Royal Aristocrat Typewriter
$285.00 | Chairish