Bad news for converter people!

tobr24uJanuary 26, 2009

Although the govt promises more channels and better visual and audio quality. A couple of articles have related that the opposite might be true: fewer channels and poorer reception. This is evidently due to the dispersal pattern change of some antennas and more interference from aircraft and other sources. As a converter person, I will wait till Feb to cast my final verdict. But I have one hooked up and have found the articles to be true so far...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

some stations had to change towers to put their digital transmitters on teh air due to tower loading. manyh of these WILL go back to the original towers after the switch and things will be basically teh same coveragewise. others will not go back and thus the new area may be different than it used to be.

another thing is many analog VHF stations are using UHF right now for their digital. but after the switch they will go back to VHF. if you wasted your money on a powered HD ready UHF antenna, you may be screwed. i keep telling everyone tha tyou don't have to buy anyting but the convertor, your existing antennas will work in 95% of cases.

as far as more interference, in MY case it is actually less and better signal. i have never been able to pick up the local CBS nor PBS stations. with digital i cna get both, so i went from 1 ABC station to 7 digital channels. if i ever get off my butt and put up my antenna outside i should be able to pick up a few more channels easily.

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 7:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimisham

Here's a link to the expected digital coverage area compared to the present analog coverage for each TV market.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coverage Maps of Digital TV Stations

Bookmark   January 27, 2009 at 8:36AM
More Discussions
previous post about 50ML8105D
My previous post about my Magnavox/Phillips 50"...
tribefan53
plug-in tart warmers - parchment-paper safe?
Hi, re: plug-in wax-tart warmers: Is it safe to cover...
jally
I need "Pairing Code" information for my TV.
What is the pairing code for my Magnavox TV Model #...
Tammy Lanier
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
OTA, I'm Back
I got rid of cable and now am using a converterbox...
boothbay
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™