gutters and valleys

susandaleApril 5, 2006

i am having nightmares about having gutters installed on two L shapes roof edges. the valleys build up ice often[ MA winters], and i envision the gutters tearing away from the house! yet i have to do something about diverting the water away from the foundation and splash back on decks and esp the bottom corners. does this nightmare happen? and what precautions should i take?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I have a valley in my kitchen/family room roof join....and of course gutters....ice dams...but never had them tear off the gutters.
I think I need to install heat tape on the roof edge.....the roof is shallow pitch, sheltered from the wind and gets a build up os snow.....and because it faces west, it gets some winter sun which melts it a but....but then the sun moves and the ice refreezes. I have had ice cicles so big I couldn't open my back door....but so far no damage to the gutters.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 3:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustyj14

I would like to think that any gutter and down-spout man in your area could install gutters that wouldn't cause the problems you envision! If not, then hire another gutter-man! Or, move to Florida, or some other warmer place!

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 6:19PM
More Discussions
Any young ladies feeling like you don't have a voice?
I moved in to my grandparents home. I am updating it....
avadoone
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
Bleach stains on bathtub
My son just moved into an apt., and the tub area was...
wishnwell
Boarders in single families
Like to have input how different cities and towns handle...
jonnyp
Bad Contractor
My wife and I are nearing the end of a bad experience...
KitchenDad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™