wasp and termites

hnewmanApril 19, 2008

We are moving into a house that has wood siding and there are wasp everywhere! With 3 young kids this is a big problem. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? I am also afraid of getting termites. I would like to mulch my flower beds along the house, but afraid of inviting them in. Is there anything I can use to keep them away?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearab

I don't know where you live, but it is suddenly very warm here in the Philadelphia area (80-90) and there are wasps everywhere in my yard right now. And more bees of every type than I remember seeing before. I am wondering if it is just this early warm weather. I haven't seen any yellow jackets yet, thankfully.

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 11:45AM
joed

Unless yo see nests I don't think is much you can do to keep them away.

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 9:09PM
littledog

Keep the mulch away from the foundation of the house to avoid attracting termites with an appetizer before they start on your home.

As for the wasps, sit outside about 20 feet away facing the house and watch to see where they are coming from. If you don't see any obvious nests hanging under the eaves, they have probably discovered a hole and are nesting in the attic of inside the walls. Once you figure out where, wait until dark and solidly plug the hole. Spray foam works for bigger gaps, a shimwhittled out of wood will usually handle a small hole. You can also use silicone and a piece cut from an alminum can to cover a hole if it's in an area where it can't be seen.

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 11:36PM
davidandkasie

find the nests and spray them AFTER DARK. the wasps won't fly after it gets dark, so you can get right up on them and kill them.

it would probably be in your best interest to hire and exterminator to come regularly spray for pests and to perform a termite treatment onthe house. around here the treatment runs on avg about 1200 for the first treatment then maybe 200 yearly. other pest treatments run about 50.00 a quarter, well worth it.

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 10:27AM
More Discussions
How to deal with post-snow water damage?
Recent northeast snow storm has caused some water leakages...
jhome2015
Dealing with a crazy neighbor
Condensed version: My neighbor aggressively pounds...
dtxgal
Strange 'fishy' smell
Hello all - My parents are having an issue with a somewhat...
tarajen
Heating Oil Spill & Smell
So here is my issue. Currently under contract to purchase...
jemcdonald
Walk me through overflowed tub, waterfall in kitchen disaster
Yup. My 15 yo ds woke up this am, decided to take a...
nini804
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™