HDMI Monster Cable necessary?

cheerful1_gwJanuary 4, 2007

I have a Sony Bravia 32" XBR series TV. The cable company installed the HD box the other day. We had heard that the HDMI monster cable would give an even better picture than the connection used by the cable company. The cable company says there's no difference. Has anyone used the monster cable, and how much did you pay for it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

I have only one Monster Cable product, which I bought cheap at Goodwill. It's the cable from my DVD player to my receiver. I can't honestly say it sounds any different from the vendor-supplied cable that came with the DVD player. It simply was long enough to reach what it had to; the original one was not.

There is an entire "cult" based around the qualities of various cables and their materials and construction, and the sky is the limit on what some people are willing to pay for them. While there may be discernible differences between cables, IMHO they are just that -- differences -- not necessarily improvements.

I would venture that most folks out there would not experience any kind of improvement in using fancier cables -- certainly not while the cable company signal and room configuration has such a great effect on what you actually see and hear.

Bookmark   January 5, 2007 at 8:42AM
cheerful1_gw

Someone told me they bought a Monster Cable for $70 and it provided a spectacular picture. I paid enough for the Sony without having to spend more for another cable. I'm happy enough with the picture.

Bookmark   January 5, 2007 at 9:58AM
netlos

unless you have an extremely cheaply made hdmi cable now you will not see a noticeable difference.monster cable is just very well marketed.do you think they use monster cable at cable head-ends?hell no!if your cable is less than 8' long don't fall for the monster hype.

Bookmark   January 5, 2007 at 10:54PM
rayfromalaska

No difference. I installed a short HDMI cable that is used for gaming machines (maybe X-Box?), and the signal quality is not any different than another more expensive cable that I also have. I paid $56.00 for the expensive one (it's longer), and $29.00 for the shorter one.

Bookmark   January 6, 2007 at 4:49AM
More Discussions
why do I have to "install"apps on my tablet?
So why do I have to install apps on my tablet that...
clairebuoyant1
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
POTS phone extension over local ethernet?
Through a mess up in communication I got a gigabit...
rwiegand
Philips/Magnavox Tv Problems ?
To get assistance on Philips/Magnavox TV: Post the...
pee_wee
seek expert on plug-in wax-tart warmers
I bought this plug-in tart warmer via the Net, made-in-china,...
jally
Sponsored Products
Electrical Tool Accessories: CabLED Electrical Supplies U-Coupler Connector
$2.97 | Home Depot
A19 Lighting | Fossil Mini Pendant Light
$307.99 | YLighting
Mini Hudson Latte Tech Lighting MonoRail Pendant
Euro Style Lighting
Modern Flat TV Stand
Italy Design
Loll Racer Sidecar Table - Loll Designs
$210.00 | HORNE