trouble with new coaxial cable

gldno1January 12, 2014

Here is my situation:

I don't have coaxial cable in one room and wanted to have it installed. A couple of young men, college age students, said they could do it for me, no problem.
They purchased l00 ft of coaxial cable of higher quality (cost $37) and carried it through the attic to the living room. dropping it through the wall in the new room. They bypassed the splitter coming in from the outside antenna in the attic which I kept telling them to attach to because I did not have a receiver from Directv for the new room. I know while they were trying various hookups from the living room where I do have satellite service and an outside antenna connection, they got service on the new room tv. By now another friend drops by and they do something else and had to leave before all work was finished.....I get no service at all the way they left it.

I thought if I were to hook the new coaxial cable that is now danging out a hole in the wall of the living room directly to my outside antenna and the other end of the new cable in the bedroom to the tv, I should get local only service. Nada!

If I move the tv to the living room and hook it directly with the small push on type cable to the tv and the wall antenna, I have service locally. Why doesn't the new cable carry the signal?

I know this is long and I apologize but if anyone has the courtesy to read this ramble and has an idea, I would be most grateful!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toxcrusadr

It's hard to know exactly what you have going on there but from your description, it sounds like the new cable is cut somewhere in the attic, and is not one continuous piece.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 3:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tim45z10

Some splitters will not split a digital signal.

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
previous post about 50ML8105D
My previous post about my Magnavox/Phillips 50"...
tribefan53
Sounds like a fan going bad
I have a Magnavox 50ML8105D/17 (DLP-TV)..there is a...
tribefan53
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
cinemax
we have cinemax on our cable tv service. we dont pay...
stoveguyy
POTS phone extension over local ethernet?
Through a mess up in communication I got a gigabit...
rwiegand
Sponsored Products
Luceplan | Berenice Wall Ceiling Light
$496.00 | YLighting
Wyndham Collection Taron 37-inch Brushed Nickel Tub Filler
Overstock.com
16" Round Black Granite Bathroom Vessel Sink - LEAF SHADOW
Living'ROC
Remer by Nameeks QT36US Shower Set - REMER QT36US
Hayneedle
Ramon Soler by Nameeks US-2684 Thermostatic Shower Mixer - RAMON SOLER US-2684
$801.98 | Hayneedle