Dinner help re: fresh tuna salad

kellyengFebruary 10, 2012

I'm making Ina's tuna salad (linked below).

It's basically seared tuna steaks, chopped and tossed with avocado and vinaigrette.

Do you think I can pre-make, toss the tuna with the vinaigrette and add the avocado before serving? I'm thinking the flavors of the tuna and vinaigrette need to meld for awhile before serving.

Also, DH is not a fan of this kind of salad unless it's on bread. Do you think a bun or a wrap would be better? I'm thinking wrap and maybe some edamame on the side.

Opinions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ina's Tuna Salad

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gibby2015

I personally wouldn't want it mucked together in advance with the dressing. I'd want it all freshly tossed together right before eating. I'd want my bun or wrap on the side but if DH only likes it on bread does he mean bread (bun) or wrap? If I had to put it on something, I agree a wrap would be better.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 5:08PM
natal

If you make it ahead of time that lime juice will "cook" the tuna even more. I think I'd toss just before serving.

Dh blackened tuna last weekend and I turned the leftovers into tuna salad with carrots, celery, onions, pecans, and mayo.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 7:27PM
kellyeng

Gibby, he doesn't care what kind of bread, he just thinks the meal isn't complete unless he has some. I think I'm going to do the wrap and include some lettuce and other veggies to go with it.

Natal, thanks, I totally forgot about the acid cooking the tuna. That solves that! Blackened sounds so good but I don't have any blackening seasons. I think I'll grill it for a little smokey flavor.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 7:40PM
hhireno

It's too late to help you with your salad, but I did want to suggest these wraps:
flatout wraps

I have never tried any of the other wraps so I can't say how they stack up against other brands but I do like the high fiber and protein in these.

We discovered them in the fall and used them for making our sandwiches for the beach. I made them with hummus and slice veggies. My sister & friend made turkey wraps.

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 11:44AM
kellyeng

Wow, Hhireno, that flatbread looks to be all natural and low calorie. I don't see they are carried anywhere close to me but I might just order online. Thanks!!

My tuna salad was incredible and DH was a happy happy guy.

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 12:30PM
les917

Also try the Mission brand Carb Balance tortillas. That is what we use. They come in various sizes, and have way more fiber and fewer net carbs. Always soft and great for open-face or wraps.

mission foods

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
F&B to BM color closest matches
If F&B is not near you but BM is....
the_foxes_pad
I need help deciding what color to paint my sofa frame
I am re-upholstering a vintage french couch, with the...
lizzierobin
Help me find a new coffee table
Just before the Houzz migration, GWers helped me decide...
smalloldhouse_gw
Are cordless roller shades practical with a large picture window?
Hi all! I plan to replace my windows and doors this...
valpogal47
Best glass shower doors
Can someone recommend a good quality brand of glass...
sis2two
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™