Help ..Picture goes dark on AV setting!

don_na_naJanuary 27, 2012

I have a Magnavox 36 inch TV, hooked to a Dish Network DVR and a Magnavox Combo VCR/DVD Recorder. The Combo is less than a year old. To use the combo, I have to select the AV setting on the TV remote. It worked great until about a month ago. Now when I try to record or watch the combo the picture goes dark intermittently. Any ideas what the problem is and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azinoh

Make sure all cables going to/from all the boxes are secure. Remove each one and then reconnect it. What cable are you using for the final connection to the tv? If you are already using a HDMI cable, try a different HDMI cable if you have one. If you are not using HDMI, try one if you have HDMI ports available.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 6:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_na_na

Thanks azinoh!

I removed and reconnected each cable. I still had the same problem when on the AV setting (the picture goes dark with a red tint).

I do not have an HDMI port on the TV. The final connection was an AV cable with the yellow/red/white connectors. I switched this cable for a new cable that has the S-video/red/ white connectors. With this connection, the picture is no longer dark but has poor color and all the charactors have a sparkling halo around them (like Edward Cullen). This is only when the TV is set to the AV setting so that I can use the combo.

Thanks again for the input! Any suggestions on how to connect the units to avoid these problems will be greatly appreciated.

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 10:27AM
More Discussions
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
plug-in tart warmers - parchment-paper safe?
Hi, re: plug-in wax-tart warmers: Is it safe to cover...
jally
why do I have to "install"apps on my tablet?
So why do I have to install apps on my tablet that...
clairebuoyant
Where to buy cassettes for music
We still play cassettes in two of our old cars. I need...
loralee
50" dlp tv
Here is a picture of the whole part...
tribefan53
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™