music buffs'- I ned your expertise, please- teens too..

ilmbgJanuary 1, 2009

I am looking for a decent stereo system- I want a thin one that I can put on the wall. 2 speakers will be enough- I don't want a 'home theater'. I want good sound from a smaller package. I don't listen to the sterio much, but when I do, I want to hear a good strong, clear sound- I want to hear each individual instument! I have looked at Best Buy- Overstock, what other stores can I look at? I am afraid I don't know the names of good audio stores.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

If you can tell us what major city you're near, we probably can be more helpful on good places to visit.

You have a little homework to do for us. :-) Exactly what do you want to listen to? FM? CDs? MP3s/iPod/etc.? What does your budget look like? There are some wonderful-sounding devices which cost several hundred dollars and some decent ones which cost much less. Any color or style restrictions? Knowing this will help us help you.

Bookmark   January 1, 2009 at 3:23PM
ilmbg

steve_o OK! I don't listen to the radio very much- but when I do, I listen to FM. I have a few Cd- but usually I lisen to them in the car- even that is rare. I seem to go in 'waves'. I really don't care about color- it just has to look decent in my living area. Cost? I guess around $300- I can't see spending a bunch for something that I don't use much- but then again, if I find something I like, maybe I'll use it more. We only have about 4 radio stations here- most are country western, which I don't like- maybe that is why I don't use a radio much....
(I have an Teac- or maybe it is Awia(sp)in my nice warm winter place that I am not at this year- I'm here, freezing the rear end off. Anyway it is either Teac or Awia, but I don't listen to it down there either, and there are lots of stations there!) The one down south is so difficult for me to use- because I rarely use it, every time I do, I need the manuel just to use the cd!
Hope this helps. We only have Big Box stores in the nearest bigger city, so limited choices. Thanks.

Bookmark   January 1, 2009 at 5:02PM
tobr24u

300 bucks? Not much in that range if you want a good tuner/amplifier and speakers. You are better off just buying a table unit that is a little upscale. Look at JVC, Bose, etc.

Bookmark   January 2, 2009 at 9:32AM
steve_o

Thanks for the additional info, ilmbg. I must admit to a little confusion -- your note says you "don't listen to the radio very much" and that you rarely listen to CDs. You don't mention an iPod/MP3 player or a tape player or a turntable. So what do you listen to?

If it is primarily FM, and you don't mind a small unit that sits on a table or shelf, you might want to consider getting something like one of the Tivoli table radios. This one offers stereo and a jack for an iPod/MP3 player/whatever and should sound pretty decent. Bose has some products you could look at, though I think Bose is pretty expensive for what you get. Or maybe this (n.b., Amazon.com listing) Teac wall-mountable radio. Or Fisher's version.

As a disclaimer, I have heard none of these systems and could not tell you exactly who sells them, though the manufacturer's Web sites probably can give you a start.

Good luck!

Bookmark   January 2, 2009 at 12:00PM
sombreuil_mongrel

I bet that this B&O setup would do nicely.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Beosound1

Bookmark   January 3, 2009 at 1:57PM
ilmbg

Thanks. Yes, I am looking for something small- like a table/bookcase type. Steve o - I have to laugh- I bet you listen to radio/whatever alot! Nope, I don't use a mp3 or maybe I should say rarely, as I do have one, but haven't even been able to figure out how to download music to it. I thought it might be the 'thingy' I was missing, but being computer challenged, I just can't figure it out. I use it when I pull weeds! The brands you mentioned are new to me, so I appreciate the names. That is exactly what I was asking the forum people for. Casey, too- that is another name that I have never heard of. And if I need to spend more that is ok- I just have no idea what a small one goes for.
Thanks again!

Bookmark   January 5, 2009 at 12:52AM
More Discussions
vizio xvt473sv dead
I have a 4 year old VIZIO XVT473SV that now has NO...
thew60
I need "Pairing Code" information for my TV.
What is the pairing code for my Magnavox TV Model #...
Tammy Lanier
50" dlp tv
Here is a picture of the whole part...
tribefan53
13.2v Battery Charger
The battery charger for my Craftsman drill has died...
randy427
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™