Is Phillips Magnavox the most unreliable TV?

californianJanuary 15, 2007

I was just going through a couple of pages of this forum and this brand is the most mentioned as having a problem. This scares me as I just bought a 20 inch Magnavox for my dausghter to use a college. It seemed like a pretty good TV for the price ($76.00). They want about half of what I paid for it for an extended warranty.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

There has been some discussion on this point over the years. Apparently this forum is linked to some other Web sites where they discuss troubleshooting for Philips brands (including Magnavox). So people searching the Web for help often come across those links or, increasingly, this forum. Philips also sells lots and lots of TVs.

Philips would not be my first choice for a guaranteed trouble-free experience. But given that almost no smaller TVs are designed to be repaired, there is an argument for not spending very much in the first place.

I don't think I'd let the frequency of Philips being mentioned here bother me much. The repair forums contain many postings for Sears (Craftsman) garage-door openers and there's nothing systemically wrong with LiftMaster/Chamberlain (the company that manufactures the GDOs for Sears). It's just that there are so many of them out there that even a small percentage of troubled users will seem like a lot.

Bookmark   January 15, 2007 at 8:46AM
jdbillp

Consumers Reports had posted for years that Magnavox and it's sister companies Philips, Philco, and Sylvania were among the lowest in reliability in name brand tube TVs.

Now that more and more TVs sold are flat panel I don't think you can use that old data. And the Sylvania name has been sold to a Chinese mfgr.

Bookmark   January 16, 2007 at 7:36AM
jimisham

We gave our son and his family a 25 inch TV several years ago and it's still working fine. They've had no trouble at all with it.
We have a 19 inch Tv in one of the bedrooms that my wife watches TV on. It's several years old also and still working with the exception of the rmote. It seems to be a problem with the TV rather than the remote, as a new remote did not the problem.

Bookmark   January 16, 2007 at 7:58AM
More Discussions
cinemax
we have cinemax on our cable tv service. we dont pay...
stoveguyy
plug-in 15w bulb caused sticky mess (wax melt)
Stupid me, I bought a plug-in wax melter / tart-warmer...
jally
Sound Goes Off Occasionally on TV
I have a Sharp ACQUOS TV. A few days ago, I started...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
modem switch, ethernets, and extension cables
Hi, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction....
jally
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
Sponsored Products
Gus Modern | Jane Loveseat
YLiving.com
French Grey 18x18-Inch Silk Shantung Square Poly Insert Decorative Pillow
$113.95 | Bellacor
Dark Taupe Reclaimed-look 48-inch TV Console with 3 Drawers
Overstock.com
Artcraft Lighting Madison Black & Shimmering Hard Back Wall Sconce
$146.00 | LuxeDecor
Free-Pad New Heriz Hand Knotted 3' X 12' Serapi Persian Lava-Blue Floral Area Ru
BH Sun Inc
Joy Carpets Feeling Lucky Area Rug - 1509-B-BURGUNDY
$129.99 | Hayneedle
Southern Enterprises Keen Ladder Media TV Stand - Espresso - HN8476-6
$329.99 | Hayneedle
Suede Red VertiCoil Spring 8-inch Thick Full-size Futon Mattress
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™