Magnavox 27' Color Problem

spoileddaddyJanuary 23, 2010

Hello, hopefully someone can help. I have a Magnavox 27" T.V. Model #RS2761B401, Chassis #27Y105-00AA. The problem is what I call a "Color Bullseye" from the center of the screen outward, the colors are yellow-red-blue-green, and it takes up the whole screen. I get a picture and sound, but the "bullseye" is driving me crazy. If anyone can tell me what's going on, and/or how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate it!

spoileddaddy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jdbillp

Sounds like a magnet got placed near the TV. Confirm with a technician and, if so, ask him to demagnetize the picture tube.

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 12:22AM
spoileddaddy

Okay, I talked to a Technician. He told me because the set is 16 yrs. old, he does not want to touch it, but that if I really want him to he would be more than happy to charge me $175.00 to do so. Now, can someone tell ME how to de-magnatize the picture tube? Bye the way: no one went near the set with a magnet.......Any help is appreciated.

spoileddaddy

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 1:45PM
jdbillp

IF the problem is that the tube is magnetized, you will need to purchase, make, or borrow a demagnatizing coil.

They look like this.

http://www.twobits.com/parts/degauss+.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Click Here For Demagnetizing Information

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 10:10AM
spoileddaddy

Thanks jdbillp, I got a Degaussing Coil off of ebay (Radio Shack in my area don't got 'em). I used it and got rid of most of the Rainbow, but there is still discoloration around the edges of the screen. Still trying to work a round tool around a square screen. What's the secret?

spoileddaddy

Bookmark   January 29, 2010 at 12:32AM
jdbillp

Edited excerpt from the link I posted above.

To use this coil, turn on the unit (your TV) to be degaussed and display a picture.

Hold the coil right in front of the screen, then turn it on.

Slowly withdraw the coil from the screen while moving it around to cover the entire area of the screen.

When you can't see the rainbow effect any more (about 3 to 4 feet away), turn the coil sideways and cut the power.

Bookmark   January 29, 2010 at 8:43AM
More Discussions
cinemax
we have cinemax on our cable tv service. we dont pay...
stoveguyy
why do I have to "install"apps on my tablet?
So why do I have to install apps on my tablet that...
clairebuoyant1
plug-in tart warmers - parchment-paper safe?
Hi, re: plug-in wax-tart warmers: Is it safe to cover...
jally
Humidifier or Air Purifier?
I have been transfered to this city, with a small-size...
walker1846
OTA, I'm Back
I got rid of cable and now am using a converterbox...
boothbay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™