Sump Pump Running constantly

minnesotagolfnutMarch 17, 2013

My neighbors sump pump started to run about a month ago. Living in Minnesota, the temps have been well below 32F and his hose froze up...to be expected. He now has a new hose and his sump is running constantly!! So much that it has traveled over the ice and under the snow, to the side of my house. There is a LARGE pool of, what was once, water...now solid ice. They are gone for a week and I moved his hose to drain into the front yard...away from my foundation. HERE IS MY QUESTION: Why would his sump be going ALL the time? Its below freezing and has been for some time. I stood and watched this pump out and its going once every 2-3 minutes!! It has never done this in the previous years...and to add, MINE never runs in the winter!! *****HELP ME PLEASE*****

Thanks for your time,
Scott, with an ice-rink in his side yard

This post was edited by minnesotagolfnut on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 20:33

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

I could be that the slope of his property is forcing any runoff down his foundation, making his sump come on. Also the water coming out the hose may be going right back into his basement, again causing the sump to come on.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 9:32AM
Confire

Does the water being expelled look dirty or clean? If it is clean then your neighbor may have a broken water pipe with the runoff being collected in the sump pump.

Was the sump running before the neighbor left for a week? If so did you talk to him about it? If so, what did he say about it?

You stated that this âÂÂIt has never done this in the previous years...and to add, MINE never runs in the winterâÂÂ
Have you had above average rain this winter?

It sounds like its either water entering from the foundation or a domestic water line break. I would try to contact the neighbor or a relative as soon as you can and not wait until he returns. (Even the water Co. they may be able to detect abnormal consumption)
If itâÂÂs a broken water line the damage will only get worse and your âÂÂice rinkâ will get bigger.
Good luck

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 11:44AM
brickeyee

You are not allowed to pump water into someone else's land.

Time for a nice talk.
t the hose rerouting worked than you just have to wat.

The frost depth is not infinite.
Below a certain depth (many feet in MN) the earth does not freeze and there is free water.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:46PM
Confire

Scott, did you get to the bottom of the problem or at least get the flooding in your yard stopped?

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
Need help after water leak on floor
My mom's hot water heater leaked, and it was a while...
teresatree
Dealing with a crazy neighbor
Condensed version: My neighbor aggressively pounds...
dtxgal
Bleach stains on bathtub
My son just moved into an apt., and the tub area was...
wishnwell
Walk me through overflowed tub, waterfall in kitchen disaster
Yup. My 15 yo ds woke up this am, decided to take a...
nini804
What would you do if...
1. You hired a contractor to remodel your kitchen (custom...
LuckyJoe
Sponsored Products
Hammaka Universal Hammock Stand with Blue/White Pillow Hammock Combo - 40731-KP
$449.98 | Hayneedle
Christopher Knight Home Apollo Brown Wicker Beverage Caddy
Overstock.com
Ivy Terrace Ottomans Classics White Patio Ottoman IVO15WH
$89.00 | Home Depot
Gold Floor Lamp: 71 in. Pebble Stone Antique Golden Sand Torchiere Lamp TR90173
Home Depot
Weber Summit S-660 Built In Gas Grill - Natural Gas - 7460001
Hayneedle
Sunlite Solar Charger by Smart & Green
$93.00 | Lumens
Gama Sonic GS-98T Weathered Bronze Post Royal 3-light Solar Lamp with 7 Bright-w
Overstock.com
98061-12 12V 100w Zero Load LED Transformer
$67.98 | PLFixtures
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™