Box Elder bugs inside house

fernhillhallMarch 21, 2006

Last summer we had a swarm of Box Elders on the west side of the house. I read that it's pointless to try to eradicate them with sprays because more will come along from the same tree site anyway. The best remedy was to seal any cracks around that general area so they can't get into the walls to spend the winter. Well they did anyway, and now that the weather is warming about two dozen a day have made their way into my family room for the last two weeks. It's getting worse every day. I've looked for their source of entry without success. Can I assume that they will eventually all come in to be caught or fly away outside? Or will they breed in my walls? Oh my. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blue_fastback

I hate those things. I have them to. They seem to be attracted to white. They like to hank out on my front door because it is white and gets a lot of sun. They also like my other white doors but my front door is the worst. They love to sneak in when I open the door. I spoted them 2 weeks ago when it was almost 60 degrees. I have in the past sprayed them with some Raid when there was a lot of them. I wish I had a permanent solution to the problem. Dont they come from some Box elder tree ot somthing like that? All I have is Maple trees.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 7:36AM
jayh

I just did a google to find out what are "box elders" I think I am thinking of the same bug but google confirmed it. In my search, I also found out a few links, here's one. I suggest you try a google, cause you can come across prevention and cures.. Seems like prevention is the best way to deal with these pests.

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/boxelder.htm

Jay

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 9:42AM
lindac

Box elder bugs die like flies (????) when you spray them with soapy water. The best preventive I have found is to spray the house and door where they congregate in the fall with a soap water solution.
Linda C

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 10:21AM
steve_a

Yes, box elder bugs come from box elder trees, and you can kill them by spraying with soapy water. We had them years ago and the remedy was to convince the neighbor to cut down the box elder tree. That will get rid of them. Steve

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Help! what kind of biting insect has invaded my home?
Over the last few weeks I've been itching from something...
Cassandra
Problem neighbors and being watched by them
Hi I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section but...
NicholeN
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
Strange 'fishy' smell
Hello all - My parents are having an issue with a somewhat...
tarajen
Black mold? Not sure. Need help.
Hi, I recently bought an older home. I've been in it...
widaxx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™