Porcelain Slip

ShirlNovember 25, 2001

Does anyone know how long one can keep porcelain slip? I have two cases of it, never opened and it is around 10 yrs old. Is there a shelf life for this stuff??

Thank for any info.

Shirl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mericaz_msn_com

Shirl -
I really depends on the quality of the slip. If it is Seeley's, you're probably ok. It will have settled, and quite possibly, most of the 'free liquid' will have evaporated. If that is the case, you will need to replenish it, by adding DISTILLED water to it. You will then need to mix it VERY WELL...it will take a lot of stirring. I usually turn the jug upside down and leave it for a day or so. Just be sure that the lid is on very tight. You might even want to apply some petroleum jelly around the edge of the cap, after you have tightened it, as a further precaution. Just don't get any of it into the jug. Then stir and stir and stir some more. (Don't use a power mixer (drill attachment) until you are done mixing. Use it only as a final stir.) After you are satisfied that you have mixed it well, strain it through a wire mesh strainer over which you have stretched a leg from a pair of pantyhose...no holes or runs, please! Stir it again, let set (about 15 minutes) to release any pent-up air bubbles, and it should be ready to use. I always recommend a 'sample pour and firing' just to be sure there are no contaminates. If you find any dark specks or unaccounted for pin holes (air bubbles), then do not use. There are many brands of slip out there. I'm not saying that Seeley's is the only brand that will stand up to age, but if the brand you have was at all marginal quality 'in its prime', then just discard it. Hope this helps!

Bookmark   November 28, 2001 at 6:15PM
shirlane2_yahoo_com

Thank so much for the very helpful information. I really appreciate it.
Shirl

Bookmark   November 28, 2001 at 8:58PM
shirlane2_yahoo_com

Thank so much for the very helpful information. I really appreciate it.
Shirl

Bookmark   November 28, 2001 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Another Reborn Doll I've made...
Another reborn doll I made! This kit has been sculpted...
dianamo_1
Take all the mystery out of making doll clothes patterns that FIT
I'm currently sewing for an antique doll. I have the...
oceanna
Reborn Baby's ~ anyone here do this?
I am not a doll collector but I have a friend (my other...
wynative
New member - cloth doll patterns
Hi all, I'm Virginia, new to this forum. I have been...
VWbrownthumb
Stuffed animal patterns?
Can anyone direct me to some websites where I can download...
msbatt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™