Black lacquered buffet stained

carmen_grower_2007March 8, 2008

This is a real nice piece of furniture and it has white spots on the top now. My husband thinks it is from a 'exploding 7-Up can'. Anyway, it obviously wasn't wiped off right away and now I have these awful spots.

I tried mayonnaise because I know that is supposed to take water stains up from wood. Didn't work. Now what?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy

Why would mayo, an oil-based goop, take water stains out of a finish? Just curious... I know you didn't invent the idea :-).

Bookmark   March 8, 2008 at 7:01PM
gammyt

Mayo? Black laquered finish I am guessing it is pressed board or mdf and that really shiny stuff? Find a vase or something that looks nice sitting on the spot and live with it.

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 5:00PM
carmen_grower_2007

The buffet is a very old Chinese antique and I sure would like to know what to do about the spots. The wood under the lacquer is a hardwood --- probably maple. The spots are not in a place where a vase would look OK.

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 6:30PM
lucy

I suggest you call a proper restorer or refinisher, one who is familiar with Chinese laquer - if you have a real antique, it's not worth chancing ruining it to save a few dollars on DIY.

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 5:53AM
haus_proud

I would Google something like "antique black lacquer repair" and see what turns up. If it's a really valuable antique in otherwise good condition, it sounds like the stain may have caused a significant loss in its value. That's a shame. I would go for a good antique restorer so you can continue to enjoy it. Good luck.

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 6:31PM
carmen_grower_2007

Thank you all so much. I did find a person who restores antiques and the cost is way prohibitive. I can certainly live with some 7UP stains and will probably continue to enjoy this piece until it is given upon my death.

I love this forum and appreciate your help!

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
Heating Oil Spill & Smell
So here is my issue. Currently under contract to purchase...
jemcdonald
What would you do if...
1. You hired a contractor to remodel your kitchen (custom...
LuckyJoe
damp brickwork
Please can you help with damp brickwork at the front...
Fred.21
Black mold? Not sure. Need help.
Hi, I recently bought an older home. I've been in it...
widaxx
How to deal with post-snow water damage?
Recent northeast snow storm has caused some water leakages...
jhome2015
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™