Is a laundry room drain worth it?

jnh896March 13, 2011

I flooded our laundry room by overflowing the sink. While the room is torn apart, I would like to put in a drain to prevent it from happening again. I grew up in a house with a drain in the laundry room and my grandparents had one also, so I guess I thought they were standard. When we built this house, the builder told us they weren't required by code so there's no drain.

My husband doesn't think a drain will prevent any future damage if an accident happens again. I understand that if the washing machine busts a pipe that there will still be sheetrock damage from the spewing water, but I think it could prevent floor damage.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with having a laundry room drain and having a washing machine pipe bust or a sink overflow. Did it help or not?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

I would always put one in if I had the chance. It may not prevent all damage, but it will certainly lessen it if not eliminate it. I had a failure once with the drain for the washer getting partially plugged and I had a 3-hour cleanup afterwards and damage that could have been prevented with a floor drain. To me it's a no-brainer. Think of it like insurance: you buy it hoping you never need it, but you're happy you had it when you do.

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 11:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jnh896

Yes, I think it's a no-brainer too. Now to convince the hubby!

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 4:12PM
More Discussions
Bleach product discolored my kitchen countertop!
I used Clorox Cleanup in my kitchen to clean and disinfect....
Cyd1900
Advice On New Neighbor
This family moved in next door to us (they are renters)...
GardenGuy2000
Walk me through overflowed tub, waterfall in kitchen disaster
Yup. My 15 yo ds woke up this am, decided to take a...
nini804
Dealing with a crazy neighbor
Condensed version: My neighbor aggressively pounds...
dtxgal
What would you do if...
1. You hired a contractor to remodel your kitchen (custom...
LuckyJoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™