Doll has musty smell from attic

KarenNYOctober 19, 2002

Hi everyone! My daughter unpacked her Mandy Doll which had been packed in cardboard box in the attic for over 30 years--it has a very distinct musty type odor--she already tried baking soda with the doll in a plastic bag for a week to absorb odors--didnt work, so she tried washing the doll with oxyclean & still the doll & hair have the odor--please, anyone with ideas to remove the smell--doll is in good condition otherwise--thanks in advance for your help! KarenNY

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Roxie5166

Maybe an aafteroon in the sun will help with the musty smell. You could also try Febreeze or another type of odor removing spray. Good luck.

Bookmark   October 19, 2002 at 11:01PM
sherilynne

you could try putting the doll in a box with a cloth bag of charcoal.. and after about 3 days take it out and spray with febreeze.. that should work :)

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 2:29PM
flowerchild863

Use Bounce dryer cloths. This is good for books too. Any kind of mold is gotten rid of too. Wrap the doll in Bounce and then in a towel. Leave for about 2 days to one week, checking every two days. It will work. I use it on my doll clothes, antique books and everything else.

Bookmark   October 21, 2006 at 10:55PM
joelke

Great Information. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   February 4, 2007 at 2:11AM
Jonesy

I used bounce dryer cloths which I tucked it inside the body, then remove when later. I did this with hard plastic, not sure you an ever get the smell out of vinyl dolls.

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
More Barbies and Kens
Hi all, I want to share with you some of my new outfits...
Liddybuff
Cabbage Patch Doll Pattern
I am looking for a pattern of the Cabbage Patch Doll...
sandra
Plaster doll molds,patterns and porcelain slip
Hello, My husband and I recently acquired an estate...
dollmolds
Redressing an old doll
I just finished making a new outfit for this older...
Liddybuff
Cloth Doll patterns and clothes
I am looking for 18 inch cloth doll patterns and clothes....
Acorna
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™