New Home. Moldy Basement..What do i do?

puttsMarch 23, 2007

My home is about 14 months old and my basement is unfinished with 10" thick poured concrete walls. I have recently noticed that I have mold in a few areas on my basement walls. The thing that seems strange is that the mold is showing up on the walls in areas that are above grade.

The only thing that I can think may be causing this is that over the winter frost would develop on the walls in these areas when we had a long stretch of extreme cold.

My basement is unheated and probably stayed around 40 degrees all winter. And I normally run a dehumidifer.

How can I get rid of this mold and prevent this in the future?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newenglandbuilder

You should have a contractor take a look. Sounds like the outside foundation walls were not completely or properly sealed and moisture is being wicked into the concrete from the outside. Solving the moisture penetration is what you need addressed I'd think.

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 11:06PM
logic

Your humdifier may also not be properly balanced with your HVAC system...I would first get an HVAC tech to come and evaluate...it may be as simple as less humidity, and more heat...

Bookmark   March 26, 2007 at 4:01PM
housenewbie

If the walls are cold, there could be moisture condensing on contact. I'd think that would be more likely to happen in a heated basement, tho (we've had it happen in a couple places).

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 3:40PM
cabinlife

Ack! Mold is my biggest enemy. We currently are battling mold in our basement. The cause is too much humidity and nothing ever dries out. I hate it...and get bummed out over it.

I would be devistated if my new house has mold. If you can, putts, keep us posted on the outcome. My husband and I are going to build an addition to our home...and hope that we a not plagued with mold in the new portion of the basement.

I want to learn from other people's experiences. So I am interested to read what you find out and how you resolve it.

Thanks and I will you luck!!!

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 5:01PM
sue36

What is the humidity level in the basement?

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
Water Leak - Home Addition- HELP
We are right in the middle of a 1400 sq ft. home addition/...
ladyj08
Is the snow causing roof damage or any plumbing issue?
My first floor bathroom today have water leaking from...
jhome2015
Termites? Or what is it....... Oh no!
Okay I was adding a small entry door to my garage (have...
jeffpas
Black mold? Not sure. Need help.
Hi, I recently bought an older home. I've been in it...
widaxx
Boarders in single families
Like to have input how different cities and towns handle...
jonnyp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™