Inside microwave window is scratched

dedtiredMarch 7, 2010

This is not exactly a disaster, but maybe you can help.

I decided to give the microwave a good cleaning and scrubbed the inside of the window with a scratchy Scotch Brite green scrubby thing. I totally scratched the plastic that covers the inside of the window. Now I can barely see inside the MC to check on food as it cooks.

I see that the plastic covering can be peeled off. Does it serve any real purpose and would it be safe to peel it off?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

um, it SHOULD have been pulled off before the first use.

    Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 8:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dedtired

No, really it's not a temporary packing item or to protect it during shipping. It would have melted by this time if that was the case. It's a thick-ish plastic cover over the inside of the window and fairly well attached. It will take some hard tugging to get it off. I am just wondering if removing it will in any way affect the function.

    Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 8:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sarahw_tx

dedtired--call the manufacturer of your microwave and ask about this before you remove it. Good luck!

    Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 9:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GammyT

Never heard of such a thing, did you call the manufacturer and what did they say? If you didn't call, tell us the make and model number here and everyone will find the answer for you.

    Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 8:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Kits are available to remove scratches from plastic surfaces.

They come with a set of grit paper (up to many thousands of abrasive number) and polishing compound.

These kits are routinely used to remove scratches from lucite and lexan items like fish tanks and windows.

    Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 3:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

"It would have melted by this time if that was the case."

don't be so sure about that, microwaves do not produce heat the way an oven does. plus the plastic being on the glass gives it a heat sink, keeping it from melting. ever seen someone boil water over an open fire using a styrofoam cup? same principle, even though the container is flammable it won't melt because the water(heatsink) suck the heat away quick enough to prevent it.

can you post a picture so we know for sure what you have?

    Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 1:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaylawest

i think it would be ok but i would call the manufacturer just in case.

    Bookmark   March 27, 2010 at 10:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dilly_dally

I know of the interior plastic covering you speak of. Yes, it is NOT packing material.

I would not do an alterations to a microwave. You could do damage that would allow microwaves to escape when the machine is running.

In fact you may have ruined the machine already. The shiny interior is made to reflect microwaves and bounce them back.

I would recommend testing for leakage to see if it is damaged and unusable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Microwave Tester

    Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 1:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pris

Ahh, at last a sane answer. Pay attention to dilly dally.

Also, do not use sand paper on your window. This is a plastic film material not lucite or lexan.

    Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 10:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kevin45

The microwave will not be ruined from scratches. I would not remove the plastic, but I would get some plastic polish to try and remove them. In a pinch, even toothpaste, (not the gel type) can be used to remove fine scratches.

Depending on the age of the microwave, if it has 5 years or more on it, it may be time to sell it in a garage sale and get a newer more energy efficient model. You'd be surprised as to how fast a new one heats up or cooks over the older models.

    Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 8:02AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
appliance mfg's & Home owner's ins.
Long story short, I had a water leak in a less than...
gardenerlorisc_ia
Walk me through overflowed tub, waterfall in kitchen disaster
Yup. My 15 yo ds woke up this am, decided to take a...
nini804
Any young ladies feeling like you don't have a voice?
I moved in to my grandparents home. I am updating it....
avadoone
Problem neighbors and being watched by them
Hi I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section but...
NicholeN
Bleach product discolored my kitchen countertop!
I used Clorox Cleanup in my kitchen to clean and disinfect....
Cyd1900
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™