Minor Water Damage?

whistlerboyMarch 25, 2009

Well I overflowed a sink in the basement bathroom for about 15 minutes. The bathroom has a subfloor probably for easier plumbing. The water got into adjacent walls and into 1 bedroom under part of the laminate which I pulled up right away. The question I have is what is the best way to dry out the water in the walls? I'm thinking drilling holes at the bottom which the baseboards will cover and get a commercial fan and dehumidifier to ensure I dry it properly. One concern is the water which probably got below the subfloor in the bathroom. Hopefully the fan and dehumidifier will dry it all out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
restoreguy

You are on the right path for removing base, drilling holes, air movement and dehumidifiers. You want to get air movement under that subfloor too.

As long as there is no vapor barrier, the wet air will migrate to the dry air and the dehu's will do their job.

How long ago did this happen? After 72 hours, the problems of mold will be an issue if other factors are present.

Warm temperature, lack of sunlight, lack of air movement and moisture is a prime environment for mold growth.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 5:30PM
rharvster

Can you open up the cieling below the bathroom? I would be very concerned with getting it dry. Mold, once started, can grow pretty rapidly and health issues come into play. For more info on mold try the helpful site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mold Removal Site

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 4:30PM
davidandkasie

unless teh water is trapped in there, you don't HAVE to open things up much. just get a fan on it and run a dehumidifier. this was potable water for a BRIEF period, so the chances of mold are less than if it were a flood.

yes, you want to dry it as soon as you can, but no need to rip open everything.

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 1:16PM
hendricus

"Can you open up the cieling below the bathroom?"

This is a basement bathroom, I seriously doubt that there is another room under that.

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 1:55PM
GammyT

whistlerboy, YOU overflowed a basement bathroom sink for 15 minutes? LOL Sorry, reminds of dumb things my husband does.

It is clean water, just blow household fans and you will be fine. The laminate floors however, you know they are not recommended for basement floors right?

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 8:03PM
jackwhite

I always prefer a professional service for water damage restoration, but in the case of minor water damage you can use some best practices as well. One of the DIY practice is to clean your carpet with hydrogen peroxide. I use this in the past and then make it checked by professional and you can't believe that the guy said its 90% effective.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning Flood Damage

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 3:04AM
chelseasmarker

hmmmm

Here is a link that might be useful: Fancy Dress Costumes

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 10:31AM
jmarfish_aol_com

You really should get a pro to look at any water damage, because of the possibility of mold

Here is a link that might be useful: Mold Removal

Bookmark   January 28, 2011 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
damp brickwork
Please can you help with damp brickwork at the front...
Fred.21
shutting off water before vacation ?
I recently saw a bit on DIY Network about preventing...
abbey_cny
Bad Contractor
My wife and I are nearing the end of a bad experience...
KitchenDad
How to deal with post-snow water damage?
Recent northeast snow storm has caused some water leakages...
jhome2015
Help! what kind of biting insect has invaded my home?
Over the last few weeks I've been itching from something...
Cassandra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™