attic wet & moldy

chillowayFebruary 5, 2005

Hi- I'm from the birding forum and need some help. We installed central air conditioning this past summer after 30 yrs in this home. Just found out today that our attic roof is wet and getting very moldy. Water is actually dripping from the nails in the roof.

Husband thinks moisture from inside house is getting up through a/c ceiling vents and condensing in attic. We closed the vents in the fall.

House has gable vents but no soffits - therefore no ridge or soffit vents. We read that attic fans are not the best to do all the time as they can make problem worse. Has anyone ever heard of this problem?

Could anyone offer any advice please on if we are right in our thinking or how to deal with this. It has never happened before. Thank you very much, Debbie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I'll bet you have insulation in the floor of the attic but not in the ceiling part.....
The moisture from your house is getting into the attic....and the cold is causing it to condense and drip.
I remember well one night lying in bed wondering what that noise was in the attic.....it was the melted frost from the condensation dripping....
We insulated the roof part and solved the problem.
Linda C

Bookmark   February 5, 2005 at 11:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jonesy

It needs to be repair before it causes major damage and mold. I have a friend who had water in her attic and they didn't know it. In her case it was to much insulation in the attic, blown in full to the roof and they had closed all of the sofit vents thinking it would save them money. It cost her $10,000 to repair the damage to the structure and she was lucky to get it done that cheaply.

Bookmark   February 10, 2005 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
damp brickwork
Please can you help with damp brickwork at the front...
Fred.21
What would you do if...
1. You hired a contractor to remodel your kitchen (custom...
LuckyJoe
The strangest, persistent odour
Hello all. This is a serious mystery. About a month...
DanJM
Bleach product discolored my kitchen countertop!
I used Clorox Cleanup in my kitchen to clean and disinfect....
Cyd1900
Help my grout turned blue in spots from Comet
Hi Unfortunately I was trying to clean my new Bathroom...
scooper25
Sponsored Products
The Beach Grass Spike by Lights Up!
$44.00 | Lumens
Atlantis Outdoor Wall Sconce
Lightology
Warehouse Forest Green 20-Inch Outdoor Pendant with White Cord
$144.95 | Bellacor
Drop Trim with Housing by Leucos Lighting
$156.87 | Lumens
Progress Lighting Antique Bronze 1-light Outdoor Flushmount
$85.41 | Home Depot