What a roller coaster! (attic issues)

brian7972riFebruary 5, 2003

You may recall that I had a bad condensation in (one half of) my attic. The problem has been fixed, new insulation is in, and everything's drying nicely. It's 40-45* up there, so I've been told that I shouldn't be too concerned about mold...I think I'll be dry long before the temps hit 70 up there (prime mold growth temp).

Anyway, I noticed some significant whitish fuzzy discoloration on about 1/2 of the OSB decking (all of the decking is dry to the touch, but who knows how much moisture lurks beneath). I immediately thought mold (ugh). However, the contractor sprayed X-14 (made by Wd-40) a week or so ago, so I was shaking my head how this could be mold given the drying, the low temp, and this mildecide application.

So, I do a search on x-14's primary ingredient: sodium hypochlorite. I find a site that doesn't recommend the use of this chemical on wood decking (presumably for aesthetic, not structural reason). Check this out: "They can result in the wood's having a whitish unnatural tone due to the bleaching of natural components or a fuzzing of the wood's surface due to the loosening of small fibers during the cleaning process. "

Sure sounds like what I'm seeing! I certainly hope this is the cause/problem and not mold. I'm going to keep an eye on it, and go up once a week or so and if I start to see problems (colored mold, etc.) I'll devise a more traditional cleaning approach (bleach solution, etc.)

I've removed the cause of the moisture problem, so the best I can do now is stem the tide of an mold that may occur. I am hoping I can get the drying done before prime mold growth season.

Wish me luck...any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brian7972ri

P.S. I know that bleach is sodium hypochlorite. :-)

Bookmark   February 5, 2003 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Getting cat urine smell out of carpet...
What's the best way? Or what's the best thing to make...
nadastimer
Neighbor's yard is full of junk
We live in a quiet, middle class neighborhood. Neighbors...
rubber_duckie_27
Frozen Sump Pump Hose: How to Prevent ?
Our sump pump recently failed due to the exit hose...
ozziepuppy
Bad contractor web site
is there a site to post contractor complaints on??? Just...
jimrac
Smelly bedroom mystery
Help? I got a mystery/x-file smell in only one of my...
decr8on
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™