Water in middle of basement floor

iowa_boyFebruary 10, 2007

We found water in the middle of our basement floor this morning. The evidence is that it is coming up through the cement. The amount is relatively small (a thin puddle a foot or so in diameter). There are no pipes in the area, no signs of leakage from other areas, and no cracks in the concrete. To my knowledge this has never happened before in the 16 years I have owned the house - even in the monsoon year, 1993.

It has been extremely cold here and for a long time. I've been told it is the worst cold snap in 60 years.

I've heard that there are springs in the area could water from one of them be coming up? - farfetched but the most plausible theory I can come up. Other ideas?

David, in Iowa City.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chris_ont

Got any pets? Small children? :)

Could the water have been there for some time? I.e. it trickled from another part of the basement (near pipes, cracks, corners etc), and pooled in the lowest spot where it's taking longer to dry than the tail it might have left.

Bookmark   February 11, 2007 at 1:26PM
kudzu9

If there are no cracks in the concrete, you're going to have to look for another explanation. Clean it up, monitor the spot every couple of hours, and see what happens...

Bookmark   February 12, 2007 at 12:37AM
iowa_boy

Good call on the pets (we have three cats) but it definitely was just water this time. Also a good idea on drying up to the lowest point - there was absolutely no sign of this however. We have been monitoring and the good news is that the water has not reappered in the last five days so we are crossing our fingers. Thanks all.

Bookmark   February 15, 2007 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
Any young ladies feeling like you don't have a voice?
I moved in to my grandparents home. I am updating it....
avadoone
How to deal with post-snow water damage?
Recent northeast snow storm has caused some water leakages...
jhome2015
Help my grout turned blue in spots from Comet
Hi Unfortunately I was trying to clean my new Bathroom...
scooper25
Bleach on carpet
Okay, posted at one fo the other boards, but I am desperate!! Hello,...
Jessarlyn
Bad contractor web site
is there a site to post contractor complaints on??? Just...
jimrac
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™