insurance contractors

edwina 1330February 15, 2007

hi there,

i'm in the process of remediation after a water leak. the insurance company has a contractor network they use, but they also keep saying we can use anyone and should be sure to make the right decision. we have a lot of hardwood to refinish and some drywall repair. has anyone had any experiences either way? It would be easier to go with the insurance company group I guees.

thanks for your advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bungalowsteve

Usually the contractors referred by the insurance company have been checked out and are pretty good. Some companies have preferred programs with contractors and will actually warranty the work done by them. Other simply have a referral list of contractors they work with but you actually sign them up. Insurance companies don't like complaints so the bad contractors are usually weeded out. Most of the contractors have done work with multiple insurance companies for many years and are very familiar with the insurance pricing and estimating guidelines.

That being said hardwoods are very difficult and even the best contractors have trouble with them. If you know who installed the floors originally they can be a good option. If not make sure you clarify exactly what you are looking for. I see many hardwood jobs go sideways because homeowners and contractors are not on the same page. Verify what color you are looking for and what sheen you want. Some homeowners expect a glossy finish and it comes back with a matte finish. Some floors come back with lots of swirl marks. Verify who's going to clean after. Are they using a standard sanding system or a dustless one to cut down on all of the wood dust? Ask for references from the contractor. Also expect to be out of the house for a number of days if it's a big loss and expect to have have all of your furniture moved as well.

Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. Having hardwoods done can be a much more difficult process than it looks.

Bookmark   February 15, 2007 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
Strange 'fishy' smell
Hello all - My parents are having an issue with a somewhat...
tarajen
Any young ladies feeling like you don't have a voice?
I moved in to my grandparents home. I am updating it....
avadoone
House remodel gone wrong
Well, we messed up. We hired a man to do some pretty...
Dawn2298
Termites? Or what is it....... Oh no!
Okay I was adding a small entry door to my garage (have...
jeffpas
Help my grout turned blue in spots from Comet
Hi Unfortunately I was trying to clean my new Bathroom...
laxrox
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™