what is primitive?

h.s.solyMay 22, 2006

hi all.

i saw a couple of primitive dolls for sale on ebay and i kinda liked them. i tried making one and now i'm hooked. i've always loved the country primitive look but i love making the dolls even more. my question is....what is considered primitive? i see things for sale on ebay that don't look primitive and they sell as primitive. and why is it that the strangest looking things are considered primitive and look so wierd? I thought primitive meant old and worn but i see things that are not.....is there a certain criteria in primitive?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerchild863

Primitive actually refers to the type of craft and it can be decor and other things as well as dolls. These dolls you said you see on Ebay, cute as they are, are not really primitive. Primitive means a doll that looks like it was made with nothing but hands and hand held tools, like you would see in pioneer times. Corn Husk dollies, dolls that have straw stuffing and raggedy ann type faces, sock dolls, etc. Picture the type of doll made for a pioneer child and you have a primitive. A Voodoo doll is a primitive. So is a rag doll. Also, just because something is listed on Ebay does not mean it is correct. Some people consider that something ten years old is vintage. I have seen dolls that are from the thirties listed as ANTIQUES (they wont be for another 60 plus years, antiques are 100yrs old minimum.).

Bookmark   October 21, 2006 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
dollhouse miniatures?
anyone else on this forum making dollhouse miniatures?...
steiconi
computer program to design dollclothes
Have any of you ever heard of or seen the computer...
Liddybuff
Looking for doll molds?
My wife has too many porcelain doll molds to list ,...
juniorj72
Seeley porcelain doll molds
Hello everyone I am totally new here and have not a...
allisonpayne
Anyone have Old Fashioned Ragdoll Patterns for sale?
I'm looking for old-fashioned ragdoll patterns, very...
perditaraine
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™