Advice? Mold damage from incorrectly installed windows
Hi Y'all. I posted on the windows forum too. Wasn't sure the best place to post! We need advice on mold damage due to a contractor's negligence.
We had a few windows replaced in the fall, and recently started smelling mold from the windows. We noticed that the interior wood trim had pulled away from the window, and teh smell was coming from there. We called our contractor, and the next day it rained and water was coming into our house! Long story short, the contractor came out, said that the caulk on teh outside of the house had cracked all teh way around the window and that the caulk was low quality. He started pulling insulation out of teh window, and it was soaking wet - like a sopping wet sponge in our walls! He said he removed the wet insulation, and we'd let it dry out for a couple days. It really smells moldy, and we can see some wood that has black-colored mold on it. We're pretty unhappy.
So, to what extent would you go to determine the amount of mold damage and correct it? Do we take down drywall to see the inside of our walls? What is the limit to what the contractor is responsible for fixing? Is it reasonable to expect the moldy area to dry out and die?
Thanks for your advice!