Rebuilding after House Fire

mkis99January 30, 2007

Hi!

I am considering the purchase of a small New England home that had an interior fire, and which has been unoccupied for about 20 years. (I'm not entirely crazy...it's on a wonderful wooded property with a creek, several acres, and I can garden!)

The house will require new walls, windows, roof, and updated kitchen and bath. The foundation and oak flooring appear to be salvageable, as is the exterior siding (for now). I'd like to add an addition in the back with a family room and extra bedroom. I will, of course, hire an inspector/engineer before this purchase.

My question, to those of you who have experienced renovating such a house, is: what are the things to look for in the rehab? What changes did you find necessary once the rebuild began? What advice in general would you offer?

I'd like to think this through, and plan accordingly, before I make this major purchase.

Thank you much!

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2sweetpea

You might try posting on one of the other forums on THS- "Remodeling" or "This old House". I hope someone can give you some guidance.
Pam

Bookmark   February 1, 2007 at 10:38PM
jayh

Not having personal experience, but in general, I would really think you want to be very aware of water damage... was the fire put out by the fire department, etc... not only the actual fire damage, but I imagine you might find water damage anyplace below..

If you have an estimate needed to fix, I would at least calculate a worst case scenario and price out how much it would be to demo. the place and build new. Better to do this now than halfway through your renovation, IMO. Good luck!

Jay

Bookmark   February 2, 2007 at 8:34AM
sharon_sd

If the house has been unoccupied for 20 years, the foundation may have suffered frost damage.

It may be least costly to start anew, and use the salvaged materials on new construction.

Bookmark   February 3, 2007 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Problem neighbors and being watched by them
Hi I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section but...
NicholeN
Water Leak - Home Addition- HELP
We are right in the middle of a 1400 sq ft. home addition/...
ladyj08
What would you do if...
1. You hired a contractor to remodel your kitchen (custom...
LuckyJoe
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
appliance mfg's & Home owner's ins.
Long story short, I had a water leak in a less than...
gardenerlorisc_ia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™