Is this light too big for our entry foyer?

storyofmylifeDecember 22, 2012

Hi everyone - I'm looking for some feedback on a hanging lantern for our entry foyer.

We found this lantern that we really like - http://www.build.com/designers-fountain-23853-am-orb-3-light-foyer-pendant-from-the-sedona-collection/p855738

The dimensions, according to the website, are 33 inches tall and 19 inches wide. Our foyer is 13.5 ft long x 7 ft wide with a vaulted ceiling. The ceiling height, at the walls, is 9 ft 6 inches and rise to 11 ft, 9 inches at the center. There are three 8 ft doors in the foyer - the entry door, the entry closet (double doors), and the powder room (just to put some context of the foyer).

I found some sizing guidelines on the web, and the light seems to be within those guidelines. For example, the width of the light in inches should be approximately the length of the room plus the width of the room (13 + 7 = 20 inches). The height of the light, in inches, should be between 2.5 to 3 times multiplied by the ceiling height (29.4 to 35.5 inches).

That said, when I tried to visualize using a measuring tape, I couldn't help but think - this light seems too big. Granted, I know people tend to err on the side of having a light that is too small for the room, but wondering if I am erring on the side of a light that is too big for the space.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

Get yourself a dry cleaning bag or other large plastic bag, stuff with crumpled newspaper and wrap with tape to approximate the shape of the fixture...have someone hold it up and take a look...best way I know to judge.

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 9:54PM
musings

It is not too big for the space as you described. I would confirm how much chain it comes with to ensure you can hang it at the desired height above the finished floor.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 1:02AM
graywings123

Photo of your light:

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 9:47AM
Billygoatjoe

We have this exact light in our foyer. Out of the box it seems huge. Our foyer dimensions are 11 feet 3 inches in length by 6 feet 8 inches wide, however, the foyer is open on 2 sides to other rooms. The foyer ceiling is vaulted with the peak at 17 feet.

We love this large light as it is a good size for the space and can be seen outside the large transom over the 8 foot entry door.

However, for your ceiling height you might consider the next smaller size. Good luck in your selection.
bgj

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
Downsides to exposed aggregate vs broom finish concrete?
Hi, We were surprised to find out yesterday that we...
Kiwigem
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
Ole cahaba brick-henry brick
Anyone using ole cahaba brick? If so what mortar colors...
barroberts
Living on property while building
Has anyone lived on site of their build? Our plans...
the_foxes_pad
Make Ready Checklist
Hi folks! Sorry I've been incredibly absent from the...
carsonheim
Sponsored Products
Godfrey Lantern Pendant
Bellacor
Ibsen Semi-Flushmount by Quoizel
$229.99 | Lumens
A19 Lighting | Chios Wall Sconce
$99.99 | YLighting
Timeless Tradition Ornate Oval Wall Mirror - 24W x 36H in. - TT-124-GD
$315.00 | Hayneedle
Outdoor Coconut Fiber Black Stripes Door Mat (4' x 1'6)
Overstock.com
Kichler January 47 1/4" Wide White Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™