Cracking Rafters

lovetogardenJanuary 14, 2004

This winter and last winter we've gone through a very cold period. Artic cold weather to be exact. Maybe you're feeling it also. We've reached -20 below without wind chill already.

The problem I'm having is that the rafters are making cracking noises. This happened last year also. The sound is terrifying. It sounds like a small explosion. Last spring I had it checked out and the contractor and I inspected the rafters. What we found were lateral cracks in the 2 X 8 rafters but there had been obvious repairs by the past owner with wood t-bar supports and other pieces of 2 X 8s attached to some of the previously cracked 2 X 8s. This fall I purchased more 2 X 8s and 2 X 4s (to make more T-bar supports) but the contractor I use was too busy to do the work then. We decided to put off the work until the spring. My question is will my roof collapse? I took a ladder and looked up into the attic and everything looked the same as it always does. It is really a crawlspace type attic - no storage up there. Even though we had a lot of snow already I never let it accumulate and always promptly remove it. Is the sound more terrifying then the damage that's being done? Will I eventually have to get all the rafters replaced? That's a big expense I can't afford right now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Mandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
publickman

My rafters creak a lot, especially at night, and I always thought it was poltergeists. I have virtually no temperature change from summer to winter, and so I know it isn't temperature that does it. If yours are cracked, I would try to put some heavy metal bracings in place - no reason to take a chance. Someone at the hardware store should be able to help you with that. Draw a diagram of what the problem is before you go and take measurements. I have metal reinforcements in my garage because of splitting rafters, and they seem to work fine.

Lars

Bookmark   January 15, 2004 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
Any young ladies feeling like you don't have a voice?
I moved in to my grandparents home. I am updating it....
avadoone
damp brickwork
Please can you help with damp brickwork at the front...
Fred.21
Bleach stains on bathtub
My son just moved into an apt., and the tub area was...
wishnwell
Heating Oil Spill & Smell
So here is my issue. Currently under contract to purchase...
jemcdonald
Help my grout turned blue in spots from Comet
Hi Unfortunately I was trying to clean my new Bathroom...
scooper25
Sponsored Products
Sturbridge Lamp Post
Grandin Road
Distressed Tan Wallpaper R1682, double roll
Walls Republic
Tech Lighting | ELEMENT - 3 Inch Metal Halide New Construction Housing
$380.00 | YLighting
Fabbian | Tools Trimless Round 5.5 Inch Recessed Light
$368.10 | YLighting
RainShield Outdoor Ottoman Cover
$39.50 | FRONTGATE