crying over spilled paint

foggyjJanuary 9, 2005

An open can of exterior paint was knocked over on our garage floor, we tried to cover it with newspaper (which was the closest thing available) It did absorb a little. Before we could get to cleaning it up further, it has dried and of course the newspaper is stuck to the floor. We've scraped some of the newspaper up, but of course the dark brown paint remains. About a 2ft by 3ft space. Any suggestions how to remove the paint and stuck on newspaper?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noodlesportland

call a paint store-bet they can sell you a solvent that will take most of it up and then you may need to sand the rest.

Bookmark   January 12, 2005 at 11:16PM
foggyj

Good idea...............Thanks

Bookmark   January 13, 2005 at 5:44PM
connie_tx

Let it SOAK WITH WATER and if it is latex it will come up with some scraping. If it is Oil then good luck probably there to stay. OOPs might work you cn get that in the paint section at Wal-Mart. We use tons of paint in our childrens furniture business and spill all the time. Water and a wire brush usually gets it all or nearly all up.

Good Luck

Bookmark   January 16, 2005 at 4:13PM
foggyj

Thanks. I'm ready to try to solve the problem, trouble is my DH has covered a lot of the area with junk/stuff for a garage sale in a few months. So now it won't get fixed until that is over. Maybe somebody will buy our garage!

Bookmark   January 17, 2005 at 5:12PM
maduce

You're lucky. Our last spilled can was on the carpet. Got most of it up with sponges, paper towels, etc. We still have a stain - mostly covered by a bed. Garage floor should be no problem to scrape and clean with soap and water (if it's water based). Otherwise, scraping and solvent - paint thinner (?) should do it.

Bookmark   February 17, 2005 at 12:29PM
Holly_ON

This happened to my mother just after she sold her house. I ended up taking an electric sander to it with progressively finer sandpaper. Got it all up.

Bookmark   February 26, 2005 at 6:18PM
Frieda__IL

Heat gun....

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Help my grout turned blue in spots from Comet
Hi Unfortunately I was trying to clean my new Bathroom...
scooper25
Dealing with a crazy neighbor
Condensed version: My neighbor aggressively pounds...
dtxgal
shutting off water before vacation ?
I recently saw a bit on DIY Network about preventing...
abbey_cny
Frozen Sump Pump Hose: How to Prevent ?
Our sump pump recently failed due to the exit hose...
ozziepuppy
Bleach stains on bathtub
My son just moved into an apt., and the tub area was...
wishnwell
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™