How to kill mold between walls?

chuckr30January 31, 2007

I am highly allergic to mold. I moved into a new house in 2004 which sits on a slab, no basement. Since then my asthmas has been acting up. I did a repair under my sink and noticed I seem to have black mold growing there. There are sections of my house which are open to the sand, the slab is missing in parts! Thus allowing moisture in and mold to grow.

How do I kill the mold and keep it away? While bleach will kill it it will not keep it away as chlorine is very volatile. I prefer a spray in a DIY form, so I can go up to the attic, and spray down each header into the wall between each stud (headers have many holes for various reasons).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

you say the slab is missing, is this just around plumbing or other items coming from under the slab? around here slab houses usually hav ethe plumbing and some electrical conduits run before the slab is poured. then they box in around the plumbing and pour the slab, leaving a small "hole" in the slab. if you look under the tubs in my house, there is slot about 2ftX1.5ft of missing slab where the water pipes and drain line come thru. no mold issues there.

are you sure you have not had leaks?

if you want to block moisture from coming in at those points, maybe fill each hole with spray foam. then treat and kill the current mold. if it is bad enough, or certain types of mold, your only recourse is removal of the affected areas. some types cannot be removed, as they easily spread elsewhere and the entire house must be abandoned.

i read about a couple that had this happen to their brand new multimillion dollar home. the contractor pierced a water line, and a slow drip caused so bad of mold the house was condemned and for health reason they could not even take the clothes on their back with them when they were forced out. hope yours is not that bad!

    Bookmark   February 2, 2007 at 3:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the slab is missing 1) under the kitchen sink, 2) under the wall between the kitchen and bathroom where some pipes go into the ground and 3) where the shower drain goes into the ground (in another closet). Under the kitchen sink is an old well head, it shows you they didn't have city water when the house was built, and I found the old septic tank too! (It's empty.) We now have city water and sewer.

House was built in 1954. Yes I did have the original drain pipe going from the kitchen sink to the main sewer rust through. Water collected under the kitchen sink. I had the pipe replaced (half of the bathroom slab had to be demolished then replaced), so that problem is fixed.

No, mold is not that bad, but when I look under the sink I can see the studs and black stuff all over them, which I assume is mold. The other part is I am very allergic to mold and my asthma is acting up since I have been in this house. Before I moved in I didn't need medicine. Now since I moved into this house I take medicine every day, except in the summer months.

Asthma problems only during cool months point to a probable mold problem.

Any suggestions for a spray that will keep killing mold once it is sprayed on?

    Bookmark   February 5, 2007 at 8:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I am allergic to mold too - every mold I've been tested for.

I have mold behind the paneling in my basement, but nothing that's out of control. I use a dehumidifier, which seems to help. As far as treating the mold, try a product called "Mold Avenger" - recommended by a reputable paint store that I go to on the other side of town. I was told this will help reduce the mold greatly, but will not rid it entirely or forever, but it is not harmful to your health and is effective for up to a year. You can help to prevent regrowth by removing the elements that are creating the mold. If it's moisture, reduce the humidity in your home with an air conditioner or dehumidifier or a combination of the two.

Good luck!

    Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 2:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You need to open all the areas that you see mold on. Spraying only the exposed mold is useless. Dumping chlorine into walls is dangerous and not effective. Open the areas and have them treated professionally. Fill in all the missing areas with concrete over a vapor barrier.

    Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 5:08PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Heating Oil Spill & Smell
So here is my issue. Currently under contract to purchase...
Dealing with a crazy neighbor
Condensed version: My neighbor aggressively pounds...
Help my grout turned blue in spots from Comet
Hi Unfortunately I was trying to clean my new Bathroom...
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
Frozen Sump Pump Hose: How to Prevent ?
Our sump pump recently failed due to the exit hose...
Sponsored Products
Bath Authority DreamLine Rainfall Hydrotherapy Shower Column SHCM-25780
Modern Bathroom
Gizaun Art Reflection Falls Indoor/Outdoor Full Color Cedar Wall Art - RF1624
$79.00 | Hayneedle
Megan Duncanson 'Turquoise Ecstasy IV' Metal Wall Art
Titan Lighting Wall Mounted Barrington Gate 2-Light Outdoor Hazelnut Bronze
Home Depot
Blu Dot | Shale 4 Drawer Wall-Mounted Cabinet
Brock Plug-in Picture Light
Photo Frame Ladder
$179.99 | Dot & Bo
Tempo Hyper Links Plug-in Swing Arm Wall Light
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™