yellow jackets/wasps in the attic.....

powiebabyJanuary 22, 2007

I moved into a new home last November. The house was constructed during the fall of 2005. It wasn't until this past November 2006 that I got the builder to close up a gap in the attic along the eave. I just noticed this weekend lots of dead yellow jackets or wasps or whatever on the attic floor. Probably died from the freezing weather that finally arrived. Assuming that they got in the attic thru that gap, or some other tiny openings alongs the eaves. My question is, if I happen to notice them alive and in the attic in the spring/summer, is there any kind of gadget or chemical or whatever that I can put out in the attic that will kill them, short of locating a nest and spraying it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chris_ont

Only the queen will survive the winter in cold climates and she may find a nest elsewhere in the Spring. So having closed the entry gap may prevent this from recurring.

If you do notice wasps in the attic next year, it is a far better option to quickly treat the nest directly than poison your home with chemicals that'll blanket the entire attic. There are sprays that look like silly string that you can aim at a nest from a considerable distance (night time is the best time to do this). Also, it is not terribly expensive to get an exterminator to do this, if you are squeamish.

I had someone blast away a nest a few years ago. Took him about 30 seconds and he didn't even bother with safety gear. But since it was up a ladder and I'm terrified of stinging insects, it was worth the $50 to have him do it. Another nest I found attached to the shed I did myself. Results within seconds.

Bookmark   January 23, 2007 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
Strange 'fishy' smell
Hello all - My parents are having an issue with a somewhat...
tarajen
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
How to deal with post-snow water damage?
Recent northeast snow storm has caused some water leakages...
jhome2015
Craftman garage door 1/2 hp
when it start to not working the way it suppost to...
Ignacio7557
Bleach on carpet
Okay, posted at one fo the other boards, but I am desperate!! Hello,...
Jessarlyn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™