How many sew for Barbie?

ruthieg_txFebruary 3, 2002

Just wondering how many people we have here that sew for Barbie?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Deb_Catello

I do.. I started sewing clothes for my grandchildren and it became a habit. I was hooked! Now I make them to sell at craft shows. This is one craft that will sell at every show. I always make good money with them. Very high profit margin and I get alot of repeat buyers.
deb

Bookmark   February 3, 2002 at 11:35AM
ruthieg_tx

Hi Deb.....good to hear from you. I've had some success too..Do you sew for sizes other than 11 1/5 " Barbie like skipper, ken etc...how about mysize and supersize? Going to send you an email....

Bookmark   February 3, 2002 at 1:41PM
jomo

I used to. Still have a bunch of patterns from a lot of sources.

Bookmark   February 6, 2002 at 6:01PM
chay

Well it looks like I am about to. My DD has a birthday party to attend next week, and I don't like buying gifts....although we have a Barbie-free house (lol), I know this other little girl loves them.... Yikes...I am going to have to go out and buy a barbie to do my fittings, eh?!?!
Oh well...it was bound to happen one day.
~chay

Bookmark   March 8, 2002 at 8:18PM
Roxie5166

I've been sewing for Barbie for almost 30 years. I still have my original patterns and use them. Vintage Barbie styles are very popular right now. And evening gowns are always popular. Also any thing with white fur. Orange is not a real popular color. Hot pink, purple, red, and blue items sell well. Flashy, silky and fuzzy materials seem to attract the most attention. Sewing for Barbie is a great way to use up small scraps. Just remember to use smaller scale plaids and prints. Have fun!

Bookmark   May 5, 2002 at 12:01PM
Sue_in_AB

I recently had the opportunity to sew for Barbie. Was disappointed in some of the patterns. One fancy dress had the seam down the middle of the skirt.. I thought it was the side seams when cutting it out. I embroidered on it , did a fancy hem etc. then found out it didn't fit. Of course not having played Barbie in years I didn't realize that some of her measurements have changed. yet most of the patterns I used were very generous... including another fancy dress pattern. Oh well my niece in Scotland was immensely pleased with them. Sue

Bookmark   May 28, 2002 at 9:36AM
ruthieg_tx

I have been very very busy lately making Barkie a new wardrobe.....just wondering what everyone else is doing.......are you still sewing for Barbie?

Bookmark   June 10, 2002 at 7:10AM
raven31982

where do you all find patterns for barbie clothing I am rpaiting and themeing barbies but I dont have patterns

Bookmark   August 1, 2002 at 12:23AM
BigMama

Raven you can buy Barbie patterns at in fabric shop or walmart. There are also lots of free patterns out on the internet. Just use a search engine and type in free Barbie Patterns.

Bookmark   December 2, 2002 at 8:43PM
playswdolls

I am just getting into sewing for Barbie and I especially like the vintage look of the 50's and 60's. Does anyone know where to find vintage scale fabrics? You know, mini prints and small plaids and checks? Thank you

Bookmark   November 6, 2005 at 9:03AM
RuthieG__TX

Try fabric shops that specialize in quilting fabrics...losts of small scale prints and retro reproductions too.

Bookmark   November 29, 2005 at 11:08AM
RuthieG__TX

Haha these old threads have been around forever...any Barbie Moms out there?

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 8:57AM
marge1938

I have many pieces of fur that would be perfect for Barbie hats, capes, stoles,etc. Click the link and go there to see. These are mink in various colors. My email is:
marge38e@sbcglobal.net

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay Store

Bookmark   October 18, 2006 at 3:28PM
Liddybuff

I had a long time friend ask me to make Barbie clothes for her 2 grand-daughters. Although I have sewn for years I had never made tiny clothes like these. Once I got into it I really enjoyed them. I found myself designing my own styles. They were so much fun because it took so little fabric and here was a place I could use up all those nice scraps of fabric and trims. Since the girls were young I used narrow strips of velcro for closures. I made little coats from felt that looked like wool and stitched tiny little ribbons or ribbon roses on them for trim. After I made about 10 little outfits I sent them to her thinking I was finished...........uhh....no....then they wanted MORE. By the time I was through I had completed about 25 little pieces that could be mixed and matched giving them quite a few looks. I don't know who had more fun....the Grandma..the girls.......or ME! hahaha

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 10:29PM
Liddybuff

Well, I am off in Barbie Land again. This time I am making clothing for an adult collector. She tells me "Just make anything you want for them" OH WOW, I just loved hearing that. You can find so many little things to trim them with. I used parts of jewelry, scraps of leather from an old purse, chains and whatever looks neat. Here are just a few of my creations. (my own patterns were used)

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 7:55PM
Liddybuff

Barbies , Barbies, Barbies

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 7:57PM
Liddybuff

And yet another Barbie

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 7:59PM
Liddybuff

Last but not least

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 8:01PM
emma

Off topic, but can't resist to say hi to Ruthie. Nice to know you are still busy with Barbies. I gave up collecting and sold my dolls when the prices started to go down. I did keep some baby dolls that remind me of when my boys were that age.

Bj

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 8:02PM
lilypad22

Wow, the detail is so good! I'm just hoping to make some modest tops to go with some pants I already have. I googled patterns, the first couple I tried, I was not happy with. And tiny clothes, they are so hard to sew. I was thinking maybe some fleece "sweaters" might be easier to work with. They are for charity....I buy used dolls, fix them up and a church mission group hand them out in Romania.

tish

Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 3:02AM
lilypad22

Just a follow up. I had great success today making tops with polar fleece! The pattern was simple and colors solid, so I got to use a lot of cutting techniques and trims to pretty them up.

tish

Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 5:54PM
More Discussions
Woldorf Style Doll
Has anyone ever made one of these dolls. I have been...
enjoyingspring
Another Reborn Doll I've made...
Another reborn doll I made! This kit has been sculpted...
dianamo_1
More Barbies and Kens
Hi all, I want to share with you some of my new outfits...
Liddybuff
Doll hair
I'm frustrated... trying to find baby doll hair......
kiendu
Reborn Baby's ~ anyone here do this?
I am not a doll collector but I have a friend (my other...
wynative
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™