RECIPE: Jam Thumbprints

lorijean44December 15, 2003

I made Ina Garten's (Barefoot Contessa) Jam Thumbprints today. They went together very easily and are delicous!

Makes 32 cookies

3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash

7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut

Raspberry and/or apricot jam (I used store-bought apricot and my homemade raspberry-plum jam)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until they are just combined and then add the vanilla. Separately, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix until the dough starts to come together. Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.

Roll the dough into 1-1/4-inch balls. (If you have a scale, they should each weigh 1 ounce.) Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll it in coconut. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger. Drop 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the coconut is a golden brown. Cool and serve.

Lori

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_st_thomas

My mother made jam thumbprints years ago at Christmas. Glad you posted this.

Bookmark   December 18, 2003 at 4:20PM
lorijean44

I brought them into work and they were a hands-down hit. They were so easy to make, I'm going to bring in more next week.

Lori

Bookmark   December 18, 2003 at 7:54PM
rider

Pretty much everything Ina does is good... I just bought one of her cookbooks from amazon.com a few days ago. One of the things I want to make is her homemade granola. And lots of other recipes. They all seem so easy and homey.

Bookmark   December 18, 2003 at 9:09PM
notenoughroses

I want one of her cookbooks for Christmas, but can't decide which one! I watched her show last night where she made these jam thumbprints - looked so yummy! I think I am going to try them next week. Your photo is so tempting - should make them now! ~ Suzie

Bookmark   December 19, 2003 at 9:17AM
barbara52

One (+) year later ...
Lori, just wanted to let you know I was thinking of making some raspberry jam thumbprint cookies for a New Year's Day gathering I'm hosting. Did a search and came up w/your recipe, which sounds like a winner. I'll be making them and I'm predicting they'll be a big hit w/my Dutch friends.

Bookmark   December 29, 2004 at 2:13PM
lorijean44

Barbara, they are sooo easy! They always get raves. I made some for the office last week, but will be making another batch for New Year's myself! Happy baking!

Lori

Bookmark   December 29, 2004 at 3:39PM
barbara52

Made these this morning, and they were devoured and much appreciated by my guests this evening. One caveat... wait until they are completely cooled before tasting! They looked and smelled so good when they came out of the oven, I just had to sample one (in the name of quality control of course!). Waited what I thought was a reasonable time, but that jam stays HOT for quite a while, and I burned my mouth a bit.
These are great cookies and I'll definitely make them again. Thanks, Lori.

Bookmark   January 1, 2005 at 6:21PM
lorijean44

You're welcome, Barbara. Sorry about the burn - hope you're okay now!

Lori

Bookmark   January 2, 2005 at 11:37AM
lindac

My family all go "EWWW!" at coconut....so I roll mine in chopped almonds or pecans....
Linda C

Bookmark   January 2, 2005 at 1:36PM
roselin32

This looks like a good recipe but do you only get 32 cookies from 3/4# of butter?
Thanks.
RL`

Bookmark   January 4, 2005 at 9:25AM
barbara52

Basically, yes. Actually, I must have made mine just a tad smaller than Lori's because I got 39, I think. Repeat after me: "Butter is good... butter is good ... butter is..."
Really, they're worth it, IMO.

Bookmark   January 4, 2005 at 12:55PM
roselin32

Right but with 3/4 of a pound of butter, seemed like they should have made more. Thanks for your response.
RL`

Bookmark   January 4, 2005 at 3:00PM
lorijean44

RL, it's basically a shortbread cookie, that's why so much butter (the main ingredient - agh!) Each cookie is pretty thick, but very tender - I think you'll like them!

Lori

Bookmark   January 4, 2005 at 3:09PM
roselin32

Thanks, Lori, I probably would. We made the Peanut Blossoms at my son's and didn't get anywhere near the numbers we should have and they are shaped the same way these are so guess it just depends on how large you make the balls.
RL`

Bookmark   January 4, 2005 at 7:47PM
jane__ny

I'm going to try these. I made her peanut butter cookies and they turned out like bricks. I threw them out. I wonder if I did something wrong. Has anyone tried her peanut receipe? Jane

Bookmark   January 5, 2005 at 2:55PM
annie1992

Lori, I made these over Christmas and they were a huge hit. I didn't have coconut so I rolled the balls of dough in colored sugar then used my homemade raspberry and apricot jam to fill them.

Ashley works at a very upscale local "Inn", and she took some to work over Christmas. They have a Chef who went to some culinary institute or another, and he asked Ashley for the recipe. She told him that he could have the recipe, but it would never be as good as mine unless he made his own jam. LOL

Roselin, my boss tells me that shortbread is just butter, held together by sugar. :-)

Annie

Bookmark   January 7, 2005 at 4:11PM
lorijean44

Annie, I was all out of my raspberry-plum jam and used a gourmet champagne raspberry jam instead this year. They were still good, but the general consensus was they were much better with the homemade jam! Ashley has it right! ;)

Lori

Bookmark   January 9, 2005 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: basic jelly roll, 2 or less eggs, non-dairy
DELETED - CHANGING TO: LOOKING FOR This post was edited...
jally
LOOKING for: chocolate chess pie
I am looking for the easy everyday cooking recipe for...
Tami73
choc chip cookie recipe with pudding
Last Christmas I saw on here a recipe for choc chip...
sorie6
RECIPE: Rhubarb/strawberry jello crunch
I lost my recipe for this dessert. I know you make...
deb_pa
RECIPE: Dessert Ideas
I am making dessert for an evening business meeting...
Lucky400
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™