looking for: best family christmas cookies recipes?

linnea56December 18, 2009

My family always wants their favorites: spritz and pecan dreams. Those are done already. But what else should I make for a nice assortment? These will be gifts for extended family as well.

Believe it or not, I have bought several Christmas cookie books, but when trying the recipes found them all to be ho-hum. Taste is everything, and decorating not a priority. I guess most Christmas cookie books are long on visuals and short on flavor. I guess the reason why these two family recipes have been passed down is because they are just so much better than anything else. I would imagine that every family has their favorites.

Does any have any tried and true, really special family recipes they wouldnÂt mind sharing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

If you go to Recipe Exchange and craftyshe's post-- What are you baking for Christmas-- you will find many favorites including mine for Mincemeat Sugar Cookies and Mary's Whipped Shortbread. 2 of my family's favorites and a staple in our house at Christmas. Both are delicious

Bookmark   December 18, 2009 at 9:15PM
busylizzy

Here is our family cookie recipe, dates back to the ealry 1900's

Michigan Rocks

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds Walnuts, chopped course
1/2 pound Butter
1 12/ Cups plus 2 Tbsp Sugar
1 1/2 pounds Loose dates finely chopped
3 Cups Flour
Pinch of Salt
8 Eggs
1 Tbsp Vanilla
2 Tbsp White Vinegar
1 Level tsp Baking Soda
Powdered Sugar

Pre Heat Oven to 375 Degrees
Grease a cookie sheet or use parchement paper

Cream butter, vanilla and sugar in large bowl, add nuts. Mix a cup of flour over dates add to bowl, add rest of flour, mix well. Beat the eggs and add to the mix, mix well. Lastly, add vinegar in which soda has been mixed.
Drop on greased or lined cookie sheet by Tbsp. Bake for 15-20 minutes. After cookies have cooled, roll in powdered sugar

Bookmark   December 19, 2009 at 8:34AM
linnea56

Thanks! I did not check the Cooking forum: thought the dessert one was the way to go!

Bookmark   December 19, 2009 at 11:41AM
linnea56

I meant Recipe exchange, not Cooking forum.

Bookmark   December 19, 2009 at 11:49AM
bobanda

Linnea56,

I know Christmas has come and gone, but for next year and all year round, in fact, I really enjoy a quality jam thumbprint. I modify mine by using a snickerdoodle recipe, then rolling the balls in chopped pecans or walnuts. Then I depress the "thumbprint" using a teaspoon and fill with marmalade (YUM!) or red raspberry jam and bake with the jam in already instead of filling afterwards like some recipes call for. These are truly delicious and so pretty to look at too!

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 9:20PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: What's your best improvement to boxed cake mix?
I love to play around with cake mixes and improve the...
bonelady
RECIPE: Date and Nut Caramel Truffles
Date and Nut Caramel Truffles 2 eggs ¾ tsp salt ½...
khandi
LOOKING for: Chocolate pretzels
Looking for the directions for pretzels with Hershey...
Dee1
RECIPE: Food processor apple cake/kuchen recipe
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me find this recipe,...
lccntryrox
LOOKING for: Basic jelly roll, 2 or less eggs, non-dairy
Hi, all. It's unbelievable, how there still is no decent...
jally
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™