LOOKING for: T&T Regatta and Rum Cake

bob8_gwDecember 28, 2007

Growing up we always purchased this wonderful cake from a local Italian Bakery. It was a three layer sort of sponge cake that was wet with a rum. The layers between the cakes were one of regatta and one of chocolate. The outside of the cake had almond slivers all over it. I've always wanted to make something similar but can't seem to find a good one. Tried the last time on Christmas and it was a flop. Any and all help is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_st_thomas

Did you mean ricotta? This isn't tried & true but sounds similar to what you describe. Check it out. You could use almonds instead of the pistachios to put on the outside of the cake.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cassata

Bookmark   December 29, 2007 at 6:54AM
bob8_gw

:-0 Naturally, I meant ricotta. See what happens when one tries to hurry. Sorry about my poor spelling. Well maybe I should just say that this was a scheme to get people to open the post in order to try to find out what I'm talking about :-)

Bookmark   December 29, 2007 at 4:25PM
lucyny

Bob,
I remember having that type of cake and always loved it. However, it's more than 20 yrs since I've had it. There doesn't seem to be a bakery around here anymore that makes it. Possible the bakeries down at Arthur Ave would have it.

As I recall the 2 layers one w/vanilla & the other w/chocolate pastry cream, sponge cake moisten w/the rum syrup. Covered w/whipped creamed & almond slivers on the sides. I could go for slice of that about now!

Lucy

Bookmark   December 29, 2007 at 7:39PM
lucyny

Bob,
I did a search & came up with this "Italian Rum Cake" recipe, sounds exactly like I had remembered it. I have to try it myself.

Thanks for bringing up the subject, I had completely forgotten about it.

Lucy

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Rum Cake

Bookmark   December 29, 2007 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Help With Pie Filling
I'm trying to come up with a fruit pie filling where...
vnw232
RECIPE: merita fruitcake
Some of you may remember a fruitcake sold by Merita...
bws1955
RECIPE: new Orleans bread pudding
Looking for the best pudding recipe with brown sugar....
goldy
RECIPE: looking for: coconut cake recipe
I'd love to try a coconut cake. I have not tried many...
gumspring45
LOOKING for: chocolate chess pie
I am looking for the easy everyday cooking recipe for...
Tami73
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™