LOOKING for: Diner Dessert

jannieDecember 14, 2004

Last Friday night, my DH treated me to dinner at a diner. My meal included dessert, and I had my choice of anything in the dessert case. WOWEE!!! I chose a delicious cake. It had three layers: brownie on the bottom, then a layer of cheesecake, and the top was chocolate mousse. What a delight! I would like to replicate this at home. But how can I bake the brownie and cheesecake layers? I would imagine the brownie is cooked but not to the point of dryness, then the cheesecake would have to be poured on top and gently cooked at a low heat, folloowed by the mousse uncooked.Then refrigeratwe. Would anyone have any hints or suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
happytime_ca

Was there a cheesecake crust between the layers of cake and cheesecake?
My first thought is, they are 3 seperatley baked layers, bake the cake, bake the cheesecake, bake the brownies and layer them together, then chill. Was there a filling in between the layers? Just my thoughts.

Bookmark   December 14, 2004 at 11:31AM
jannie

No, this dessert has no crusts at all. The bottom was a brownie layer maybe three quarters of an inch, then vanilla cheesecake, then chocolate mousse on top. The whole thing was about two and a half inches high. I particularly liked it because there was no dough or crusts. Just three of my all-time-favorites piled into one.

Bookmark   December 14, 2004 at 3:08PM
danain

Jannie, I do something similar and I make each separate. Cut the brownie to fit a springform pan and press it in the bottom. Then do the same with your cheesecake and top it off with the mousse. Refrigerate for a few hours and remove from spring form pan to serve.

Marilyn

Bookmark   December 14, 2004 at 3:38PM
ginger_st_thomas

Check out this one. You can always top it after it's baked with your favorite chocolate mousse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brownie Bottom Cheesecake

Bookmark   December 14, 2004 at 5:38PM
jannie

Thanks Ginger, your link works perfectly. And it explains exactly how to cook the brownie and the cheesecake layer. I will definitely try it soon. And yes I do have a springform pan.

Bookmark   December 14, 2004 at 7:56PM
jane__ny

I saw a cake which sounds identical to that on QVC. They had Juniors Cheesecake Company on selling cheesecakes and they had a chocolate brownie cheesecake with chocolate mousse filling. Looked delicious. It was selling for about $25.00. Juniors is in NYC.

Bookmark   December 21, 2004 at 1:52AM
readinglady

You might also like this recipe for Chocolate Tuxedo Cake, which has a chocolate layer, a cheesecake layer, another chocolate layer and a sour cream chocolate frosting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Tuxdeo Cake

Bookmark   March 16, 2005 at 2:08AM
coronabarb

This Chocolate Tuxedo Cake looks really good. I like that the cheesecake layer doesn't need to be baked. Now, I just need to use my imagination for garnishing.

coronabarb

Bookmark   March 16, 2005 at 4:12PM
mst___

Jannie, If you make the Brownie Bottom Cheesecake would you let us know how it turned out? It sounds great but I wonder about the brownie being cooked that long. Thanks.
Teri

Bookmark   April 14, 2005 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
pistachio gelato
Hi, I got David Lebowitz's ice cream book and made...
alexh1000
RECIPE: What's your best improvement to boxed cake mix?
I love to play around with cake mixes and improve the...
bonelady
LOOKING for: Almond Cookies
Hello Everyone! I make cookies at home with almond...
kartik2094
RECIPE: Lost Cookie Recipe
I'm looking for a cookie recipe I use to make. I can't...
darrah
RECIPE: merita fruitcake
Some of you may remember a fruitcake sold by Merita...
bws1955
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™