I realize that there are probably many answers to this question. I'm looking for something for my wife, who is the baker between us, for Christmas. Please, steer me in the right direction. Thanks.
I don't know what kind of baking your wife likes to do. I'm a big cookie baker and here are some of the books I like to use. The Farm Journal also has a bread baking book that I like. For bread baking, I also like Beard on Bread.
I hope this helps.
1) Blue Ribbon Cookies, Maria Polushkin Robbins, ed, St. Martins Press, NY, NY, 1988
2) Farm Journal Christmas Book, Kathryn Larson, Doubleday & Company, 1970
3) The French Cookie Book, by Bruce Healy and Paul Bugat, William Morrowand Company, Inc, NY, NY, 1994
4) Gooseberry Patch Old Fashioned Country Cookies, Gooseberry Patch Co., Delaware, Ohio, 1992
5) HersheyÂs Best-Loved Recipes, HersheyÂs Food Corporation, Publications International, Lincolnwood, IL, 2000
6) Mrs. Fields Cookie Book, Debbie Fields, Time Life Books, Alexandria, VA, 1992
The new Dorie Greenspan book is very good, Baking: from My Home to Yours.
Here is a link that might be useful: and here's a whole bunch more...
That's a great link. I love ordering from Jessica's Biscuit. I've never had a problem with them.