RECIPE: graham cracker crust

doterooNovember 9, 2006

A few days ago I made a graham cracker crust by using the whole graham crackers and crushing them. I think it actually tasted better than the bought graham cracker crumbs but maybe it was my imagination. I did this because I wanted it in a 9x13 pan. The crust was very hard to get out of the pan and broke all up. I'm going to make a banana split pie and I don't want the same thing to happen. I want to be able to get it out in whole pieces with the pie intact. I hope this makes sense. Anyone have any suggestions. Butter versus margarine, would that make a difference?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I also think the "real" crackers crushed are better than the boxed crumbs.
I don't know what recipe you are using for your crust....but if you bake the crust for about 10 minutes and then cool it , before you fill it, the sugar will melt and sort of hold the crust together before you add the wet ingredients....that is assuming you have enough sugar in the recipe.
Linda C

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 10:29PM
rosemarythyme

Yesican: I saw Paula Deen cut her alum pie pan with scissors so as to not disturb the pie crust. It seemed to work. In a 9 x 13 pan you might try brushing the crust with an egg wash and baking before adding the topping. That might keep it from breaking apart when removing pieces.
Good luck.

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 8:31AM
doteroo

Thanks for the ideas. I did bake the crust but I didn't brush it with egg. Maybe I pressed the crust down too hard? It was very hard to get under it with anything.

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 9:34AM
lindac

Did you butter the pan before you put the crust in? That helps a lot.
Linda C

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 12:03PM
doteroo

Linda, I didn't butter the pan! The recipe didn't say to so I didn't. I bet that would make all the difference.

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 12:31PM
carla35

I think the boxed cracker crumbs are a little too fine so they don't taste as good.

I too would suggest cooking the crust just a little bit. You may also want to experiment with the amount of butter or margarine you use with the crumbs. I find sometimes my crusts fall apart, but other times they don't; I haven't really figured out why though. Maybe it's the pan?

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 5:59PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: Almond Cookies
Hello Everyone! I make cookies at home with almond...
kartik2094
RECIPE: Rhubarb/strawberry jello crunch
I lost my recipe for this dessert. I know you make...
deb_pa
RECIPE: Lost Cookie Recipe
I'm looking for a cookie recipe I use to make. I can't...
darrah
recipe: i found it
Just double checked my recipe box and found the "lost...
darrah
RECIPE: new Orleans bread pudding
Looking for the best pudding recipe with brown sugar....
goldy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™