LOOKING for: Apples that don't shrink in pie

bellamartNovember 13, 2007

I made an apple pie and used have gala and half 20 ounce apples in it. They are both supposed to be good in baking and I had the pie loaded with them. Actually, I had used a little more apple in the pie than what the recipe called for. Once I baked it however, it was a totally different story.

The apples had shrunk so much that there was a tremendous gap between the apples and the top layer. It tasted great, but I was so disappointed in that much of an empty space. If I hadn't made it myself, I would say someone just didn't use enough apples.

I am totally puzzled as to why this happened. The only thing I can think of is after I put it together, I froze it for about 2-3 weeks, but that shouldn't have affected the pie, should it?

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_st_thomas

A tip I got at joyofbaking.com is to prepare the apples as usual but sprinkle them with the spices & sugar & let the apples sit for a few hours & they'll release their juices.
Then drain the juices off & boil the liquid down with some butter. Pile the apples & the reduced juices into the crust & make sure the top crust is well vented.

The problem is that the apples are juicy & as they bake they release the juice & shrink. The above procedure will prevent the gap.

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 4:19PM
bellamart

Thanks, Ginger! Yes, I did get alot of juice that came out of the pie when I baked it. Thank God for tin foil! lol I've never heard of letting the apples and spices sit and then boiling down the liquid. How long do you suggest to boil and how much butter?

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 6:03PM
ginger_st_thomas

Sprinkle the apples with a little fresh lemon juice before you add the sugar to help them not turn brown. If you use a lot of apples, add maybe 1 1/2 to 2 TBL butter when you boil the juice mixture down to about 1/2 the original amount.

Bookmark   November 14, 2007 at 4:23AM
Tracey_OH

I've had really good luck using granny smith apples for my apple pies. They seem to hold their shape and size very well.

Tracey

Bookmark   November 15, 2007 at 7:29PM
robbi_drake

I agree with tracey. I use either Granny smith or spies, but my favorite is a nice tart Macintosh. They don't shrink much and they are super for baking or eating.

Bookmark   November 17, 2007 at 12:17AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: looking for: coconut cake recipe
I'd love to try a coconut cake. I have not tried many...
gumspring45
RECIPE: Food processor apple cake/kuchen recipe
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me find this recipe,...
lccntryrox
RECIPE: merita fruitcake
Some of you may remember a fruitcake sold by Merita...
bws1955
RECIPE: What's your best improvement to boxed cake mix?
I love to play around with cake mixes and improve the...
bonelady
RECIPE: Date and Nut Caramel Truffles
Date and Nut Caramel Truffles 2 eggs ¾ tsp salt ½...
khandi
Sponsored Products
Penelope Red 60-inch Outdoor Bench Cushion
Overstock.com
Stammer Giclee Brushed Steel Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Curved Rectangular Polished Granite Platform Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Christmas Bouquet Fresh Christmas Door Swag
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Retro Chic Retro Stripe Natural Full/Queen Quilt
$104.99 | Bellacor