RECIPE: About Ann's shortbreads

lindacOctober 15, 2003

How long do they keep....is the breakage rate fairly low?...

I'm thinking of abandoning my traditional hazelnut biscotti as "kitchen gifts" in favor of these. I know there will be a lot of disappointed "scotti" lovers......but maybe something new is in order.

What do you all do for a "kitchen gift"....not the kind of basket of goodies thing...but the little take to a friend gift?

For years I have bought inexpensive glass jars and filled them with biscotti. Last year I made some compilations of music from my collection of Christmas CD's....and gave a jar of home made jelly....and a few said..."you didn't make biscotti this year?"....LOL!

I got the hint!

So.....what does everyone else do?

Linda C

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ann_t

Linda, They keep well and they also freeze well. In fact if I make them for Christmas I have to freeze them or they will get devoured quickly. I would say that the breakage rate is pretty low.

Bookmark   October 15, 2003 at 7:43PM
becky_ca

I make English Toffee - it's fairly easy, one batch makes a lot, and everybody loves it.

Becky
Windsor, CA

Bookmark   October 15, 2003 at 9:01PM
rider

I'm thinking of makinf Sylvia's peabut brittle -- like Becky, because it's easy to make a lot of and is delish.

Becky, how do you wrap your toffee for gifts?

Bookmark   October 16, 2003 at 1:11PM
ruthanna_gw

I make spiced pecan halves and package them in baby food jars with fabric on the lids.

Bookmark   October 16, 2003 at 5:32PM
Sylvia

Rider, I just made a batch of that microwave brittle yesterday. This time I used pecan halves, roasted them first in the oven. Came out well. I am working on pushing the envelope of how much nuts I can cram in without the brittle falling apart, I'm up to 1 1/2 cups.

Linda, I usually make biscotti, and then include homemade jellies. I like the spiced pecan halves idea.

Bookmark   October 28, 2003 at 1:29PM
rider

Sylvia, I assume I should use unsalted peanuts rather than salted?

Bookmark   October 28, 2003 at 6:40PM
craftyrn

I often give a couple of small loaves of quick bread with a fruit & nut cream cheese. Or a Christmas tin of dates stuffed with walnuts & rolled in sugar along with homemade Penuche , fudge or spiced nuts.

Just before Christmas Dunkin Donuts puts their ground coffee on sale @ 1/2 price & I usually buy a few to give wth my cookie trays.

Last year I gave fancy Sundae dishes with 4 different homemade ice cream toppings to all the kids' families.
This year the families are getting jars of 4 different chutneys--Renee's Plum Cranberry, Fresh Tomato, Christmas
Chutney & an Apple chutney ; along with a set of those short wide bladed spreading knives that I don't know the name of.

Diane

Bookmark   October 30, 2003 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: Almond Cookies
Hello Everyone! I make cookies at home with almond...
kartik2094
LOOKING for: chocolate chess pie
I am looking for the easy everyday cooking recipe for...
Tami73
RECIPE: Recipe: Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
It is a good one, I have made it many times for many...
sheshe
RECIPE: new Orleans bread pudding
Looking for the best pudding recipe with brown sugar....
goldy
pistachio gelato
Hi, I got David Lebowitz's ice cream book and made...
alexh1000
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™