Repairing vintage colored light for silver Christmas tree

linnea56December 11, 2011

It's the kind of light wheel that rotates in front of a bulb, to cast colored light over a 1960's era silver tree. A friend bought one on Ebay, but the red light window is faded. He showed it to me, asking what can be done. I tested some glass paint, but the surface of the very very thin plastic is textured, like a waffle. The glass paint would sink into the texture, I'm sure. I took a quick look online for clear red acrylic sheet, but got a bunch of incorrect hits.

Here's a different one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rotating-COLOR-WHEEL-4-Aluminum-Christmas-Tree-Party-Light-Flood-EX-/170742310152?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item27c108e508

I had no idea where to post this question. But thought that someone might know where I could get a thin sheet of red plastic. Any ideas? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chelcass

www.interstateplastics.com/Plastic

Also you can google red acrylic sheet and a bunch of websites will popup.

Bookmark   December 11, 2011 at 11:26PM
sunnyca_gw

Might try a light coat of red nail polish, I coated a lightbulb that was too bright with it in college so my roommate could sleep while I was studying! Jan

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 1:24AM
chucksmom

You can buy the wheels separately on ebay. But if you want to send me your address I'm at lsanto18@yahoo.com. I have an extra one after I broke the light last year. I would also expect a picture of your tree once it's up and running!

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Is there a product?
that you can design specific lettering graphics on...
pixistix
Can anyone recommend a spray paint for Styrofoam?
I know it exists, as I've used it. I need to spray...
linnea56
How to make hobbled roman shades?
Hi, Does anyone know of any free tutorials out there...
pritz
Hair Jewelry/Headpiece Questions
Hi everyone, This year, I will be attempting once again...
moonwolf_gw
Halloween ideas
Hello, I am looking to do some knitted characters for...
Chrsbt45
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™