LOOKING for: ? about cream cheese frosting

Dee1October 3, 2008

Does cream cheese frosting have to be refrigerated? I hate to have to keep a cake in the fridge because of space limitations, but I love cream cheese frosting!

Dee in Michigan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

Absolutely! Ever keep brick of cream cheese in fridge too long & go to use it & it is moldy,black ugh Well then you mix cr. cheese, milk , butter& powdered sugar & you have a regular mold factory if you don't refrigerate. If I make a 9x13 cake I can usually squeeze it in on top of milk & juices, if you have bunch of kids they'll have it on the floor getting the milk out. It does freeze well, cut your cake up & freeze it in small portions & take out just what you want & be safe. Some food poisoning is very nasty. Don't chance it!I've known people that went to wedding & 50 were in hospital. In that case it was a salad dressing not cold enough at a fancy hilltop buffet place also had another party that night & 200 more got sick, health dept numbered them. Some were in hospital for a week. Not something to fool around with!!We want you on the forums!!! LOL But this is serious-don"t do it! Jan

Bookmark   October 4, 2008 at 2:16AM
Dee1

Wow, I'm so glad I refrigerated that cake. I had never made any kind of frosting before, but common sense told me that cream cheese probably should be kept cold. I love cream cheese frosting...the homemade kind, but the stuff you buy in the cans is not so impressive. Thanks so much for your reply sunny.
Dee in michigan

Bookmark   October 4, 2008 at 12:14PM
lindac

A cake frosted with a cream cheese frosting will keep perfectly well for 2 or 3 days at room temperature.
The frosting will get soft, but won't mold in that short a period.
sugar is a mold deterrant. Ever see moldy fudge? it has butter and milk in it.
Linda C

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 11:11AM
ginger_st_thomas

That would depend on the climate.

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 6:09PM
linnea56

I have also kept mine out until the cake was gone with no problems (3-4 days). I wouldn't leave the block of cream cheese out, but have never had a problem with a cake. I don't want to eat cold cake, and I couldn't exactly microwave a slice of cake.

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: What's your best improvement to boxed cake mix?
I love to play around with cake mixes and improve the...
bonelady
RECIPE: Meringue Pie Failure
Calling for all meringue pie topping pros!! I made...
becky_jo
RECIPE: merita fruitcake
Some of you may remember a fruitcake sold by Merita...
bws1955
RECIPE: Food processor apple cake/kuchen recipe
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me find this recipe,...
lccntryrox
LOOKING for: Almond Cookies
Hello Everyone! I make cookies at home with almond...
kartik2094
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™