Putting photos on rocks

kayjonesDecember 13, 2004

I saw a Carol Duvall show a few years ago, and the lady showed how to take a regular 35mm photograph, soak it in a solution, and slide the picture from it's backing onto the rock, making a 'photo rock' - really neat project.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? I need the instructions for this process, if anyone knows them. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I saw a Carol Duvall show where they did the same thing only slid the photo onto lamp shades. I don't remember what the solution was, but I'll see if I can find out.
The rocks sound neat!

    Bookmark   December 14, 2004 at 12:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Here are the instructions for the lamp shade. Maybe you could use the same process to put the photos on rocks?
photo lamp shade

    Bookmark   December 14, 2004 at 12:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I tried 'something like that' from the Carol Duvall show. The Glossy gel medium was 'clear paint' that was used for painting on glass .You applied a layer or 2 over a color copy - let it dry - then baked it - then "Supposedly" you run it under water and scrape of the paper and you are left with a transparent picture on a sheet of the baked gel medium. Didn't work for me. The picture scraped right off with the paper. I think she was also using these for lampshades and other projects that you need light behind.
It was quite awhile back that I tried it ... hope you have better luck than I did !!! ;)

    Bookmark   December 14, 2004 at 10:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You could try using water slip decal paper. I think you would need the white paper so the picture would show up on the rock. You print it with your inkjet printer, seal it with clear Krylon, then put the paper in water. THen it slips right off onto whatever you want it on. After it has dried, seal it several times with clear Krylon again.

I always buy my water slip decal paper from ebay.

    Bookmark   December 14, 2004 at 11:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That's a good idea, GardenGirl. I've used the clear water slip decal paper to put designs on mugs, and used the same process that you did. I also buy my decal paper on Ebay.

    Bookmark   December 14, 2004 at 4:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What is Krylon? I see it mentioned a lot for sealing different things, but never have been sure what to look for.

    Bookmark   December 20, 2004 at 4:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Krylon is a brand name. I know they make paint but I guess
from the answer above they make a sealer too.

    Bookmark   December 20, 2004 at 6:32PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Town Fair Vent
So yesterday I set up some jewelry I make, which I...
jewelry wire for Christmas dangle ornament?
I can only find a couple of tutorials on the web and...
Hair Jewelry/Headpiece Questions
Hi everyone, This year, I will be attempting once again...
Halloween ideas
Hello, I am looking to do some knitted characters for...
Can anyone recommend a spray paint for Styrofoam?
I know it exists, as I've used it. I need to spray...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™