recipe: looking for: easiest way to make caramel apples

tresbelle3October 13, 2003

Would a mix be easier than melting caramels? We are making them for my son's class Halloween party at school and we have a small electric coil burner that you plug in. I can bring in a saucepan and am wondering if any of you have done this (esp. w/kids) if those mixes are easier? Any thoughts? Thanks!! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Virginia7074

If you have your heart set on dipping the apples, you won't want to try this. But for fall festivals at my church, we've sectioned the apples, then put them in a dish with the caramel on the side. Use one of those metal apple thingys that removes the core & cuts the sections at the same time. We've melted the caramels in a crockpot - takes a while, so you have to plan ahead. My sister is able to buy caramel in big slabs (4 or 8 lbs., I forget) at a craft store (dare I name it? - Ben Franklin) where she lives. That would save unwrapping the caramels. I prefer the taste of real caramels to the caramel dip you find next to the apples at the grocery store.

Bookmark   October 13, 2003 at 6:07PM
ginger_st_thomas

I like the taste of real caramels & the only work is unwrapping them but if you could get the slab kind it would help.

Bookmark   October 14, 2003 at 5:42AM
eileen_launonen

Well I dont know if they have this in the stores still but as a kid in the 70's they sold a kit that came wih 8 or 10 disc of caramel (looked like a piece of bologna) the sticks were included you wrapped the apple with a disc stuck with a stick and I think baked.....Now thats EASY!!!!!!!!LOL

Bookmark   October 21, 2003 at 8:30AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Help With Pie Filling
I'm trying to come up with a fruit pie filling where...
vnw232
RECIPE: Food processor apple cake/kuchen recipe
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me find this recipe,...
lccntryrox
LOOKING for: Almond Cookies
Hello Everyone! I make cookies at home with almond...
kartik2094
RECIPE: What's your best improvement to boxed cake mix?
I love to play around with cake mixes and improve the...
bonelady
RECIPE: chocolate/raspberry yogurt whip?
Hi! I am hoping someone knows of a recipe or has some...
cateyanne
Sponsored Products
Stoneware Measuring Cup Set
$21.99 | zulily
'My Family' Cook Book
$23.99 | zulily
Deliciously Vintage Recipes - Hardcover
| Dot & Bo
2-Cup Measuring Shaker
$5.99 | zulily
Cookhouse wall clock - kettle green 13.75"
Origin Crafts