How to repair snowglobes?

monicatxDecember 11, 2004

How do you get a snowglobe apart? I have two old ones that the water looks terrible. They are not valuable and I would like to try and repair them. But first I need to get the globe off the wood and/or plastic base. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bulldinkie

I just got a catalog from Martha stewart she has snow dome kits you can buy.

Bookmark   December 12, 2004 at 8:39AM
monicatx

Thanks, bulldinkie, but I really want to learn how take make these. I have a couple of older ones that I really like, but are not worth anything, so I thought they'd be good to experiment with. Thanks for your reply.

Bookmark   December 12, 2004 at 9:04AM
Red_Confetti

Monica - there are so many different construction methods for snowglobes, all the way from glass globes on nice wooden bases, all the way down to dollar-store plastic ones.

I think you'll just have to study the construction, then carefully try to get the globe off. Probably it is glued on (if it isn't a glass globe). I doubt that you could find just the right solvent for the glue, so you may have to just try to chip the glue off. Gentle heat (in a gas oven with the pilot on), may soften the glue.

Or if it is one of the two-part plastic globes, you may be able to pry it apart at the seam.

Good luck!

Bookmark   December 13, 2004 at 7:39PM
madmoiselleclau

Hi, I have the same problem, I have a snowglobe with dirty water. I don't understand how can I heat it without brake it. My snowglobe is made of glass. Thanks a lot.

Bookmark   May 12, 2007 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
Would like to learn decoupage.......
....but have some questions. 1. Must water be used...
pink_warm_mama_1
How to decorate christmas tree, beads ribbons etc
I am trying to decide how to decorate my tree this...
L A
yooooo - hooooo
Merry Christmas everyone. Miss the old days at this...
grandma_bonnie
Town Fair Vent
So yesterday I set up some jewelry I make, which I...
sameboat
Can anyone recommend a spray paint for Styrofoam?
I know it exists, as I've used it. I need to spray...
linnea56
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™