RECIPE: Worth repeating - Gingerbread

ginger_st_thomasSeptember 9, 2003

I've posted this before but made it again this past weekend & since fall is approaching:

GINGERBREAD

1 1/2 cup flour

1 cup sugar

2 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp sinnamon

1/2 cup butter (1 stick) or shortening (margarine would work)

1 egg, well beaten

3 TBL molasses

1 tsp baking soda

1 scant tsp salt

1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk mixed with a bit of vinegar)

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine flour, sugar, ginger & cinnamon. Cut in butter or shortening. Reserve 1/3 cup of this crumbled mixture for topping. Add beaten egg to flour mixture. Stir in molasses. Dissolve soda & salt in buttermilk. Add to the other mixture. Pour into a greased 9" pan, sprinkle w/the reserved topping & bake 30 minutes.~~

Serve with whipped cream.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Virginia7074

Mmmmmm - that's making me hungry. I've had gingerbread with lemon sauce, too, & that was pretty good. Gosh - bet it's been 15 years since I've had gingerbread, period. That would be a good dessert this weekend.

Bookmark   September 9, 2003 at 9:52PM
roselin32

I made one a couple of weeks ago-mine uses hot water. But since I do like buttermilk and always have it on hand........do you ever serve it with a lemon sauce? That is how my mother always did it. (I bet you could still use your whipped cream, Ginger!)
RL`

Bookmark   September 9, 2003 at 10:55PM
ginger_st_thomas

This is more like a cake but lemon sauce would be good with it. I just always use whipped cream. It's a very tender cake, too.

Bookmark   September 10, 2003 at 6:40AM
Bethintokyo

In Elisabeth Lampert Ortiz's Caribbean Cookbook she has a very similar recipe. She uses evaporated milk, and suggests adding some chopped crystallised ginger. I make it sometimes and it's wonderful!

Beth

Bookmark   September 10, 2003 at 9:42AM
Ilene29

Ginger,
This really sounds good. I have one but i don't think that is like yours. I have to look latter. I have to get ready i am taling a friend of mine out for her birthday. It was last Friday.
IS there a diffrence in the powder buttermilk then the buttermilk in the plastic jars.
Ilene

Bookmark   September 10, 2003 at 11:44AM
ginger_st_thomas

I made a cake with powdered buttermilk & it was a cake I had made before lots of times. I didn't like it. Other people have had good luck with it though. Just curdle some regular milk with about 1 to 1 1/2 tsp vinegar. I know that works with this.

Bookmark   September 10, 2003 at 5:53PM
Ilene29

I feel the same way i think when the powder is gone i will go back to the real butter milk. I like it with corn bread.
Ilene

Bookmark   September 10, 2003 at 8:06PM
eliza_ann

Gingerbread is one of DH's favourites,but have always had it with whipped cream.I'd love to try it with lemon sauce.Anyone have the recipe?

Bookmark   September 15, 2003 at 12:06AM
ginger_st_thomas

This one's an oldie:
LEMON SAUCE
1/2 cup sugar
1 TBL cornstarch
2 TBL lemon juice
Nutmeg
Salt
2 TBL butter
1 cup boiling water
Grated lemon zest

Mix the sugar & cornstarch; add the boiling water & a pinch of salt & boil until thick & clear. Continue cooking over hot water in a a double boiler for 20 minutes. Beat in the butter, the lemon juice & nutmeg. Stir in grated lemon zest.~~

Bookmark   September 15, 2003 at 5:15AM
roselin32

Ginger, my recipe for the lemon sauce is the same as yours but if there is someone else out there that wants a lower fat recipe, ours works well without the butter-not the SAME but acceptable!
RL`

Bookmark   September 15, 2003 at 11:58AM
roselin32

Found this one today:
1 egg, beaten
1c sugar
juice of 2 lemons
grated rind of 1 lemon
1T butter
Combine egg, sugar, lemon juice, and rind in a saucepan over low heat. Cook until thickened,stirring constantly. Add butter and stir til melted.
RL`

Bookmark   September 15, 2003 at 8:23PM
ann_t

The Gingerbread recipe that I use is similar and sometimes I serve it with lemon sauce and sometimes with this caramel sauce:

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Caramel Sauce
=============
Caramel Sauce

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup cream
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
. Mix all the ingredients together and simmer for about 5 or 6 minutes.

Serve over , apple pie and icecream, warm
gingerbread, etc..

Bookmark   September 17, 2003 at 11:54AM
ginger_st_thomas

If it's the one you posted on Eileen's thread, it's not that similar.

Bookmark   September 27, 2003 at 5:51AM
roselin32

Well, I like gingerbread and I like caramel sauce but the two together just don't float my boat like the whipping cream and lemon sauce.
RL`

Bookmark   September 27, 2003 at 9:51AM
lorijean44

Roselin, maybe you need a new boat!! LOL

My great-grandmother used to make a gingerbread with a caramel sauce. It was really decadent. Grandma Maude was known for her delicious desserts - they were the talk of the town she lived in!!

Ginger, I did a side-by-side comparison of your gingerbread recipe and the one Ann T. posted on the Thanksgiving Dessert thread - they're pretty similar! I'm guessing that most gingerbread recipes are pretty close in their ingredients. Both sound pretty good to me!

Lori

Bookmark   September 28, 2003 at 11:16PM
ginger_st_thomas

I did too, Lori. Ann's uses boiling water, mine uses buttermilk. She uses brown sugar, I use white. There's a difference in the quantity of butter & hers uses more molasses.
I don't use nutmeg & use more ginger in mine. Mine has a struesel topping, hers doesn't. Most other gingerbreads have a dense crumb & would go well with caramel topping. Mine is more a tender type & is light textured which IMO a whipped cream topping would be better with MINE.

Bookmark   September 29, 2003 at 5:44AM
lorijean44

Thanks for pointing out the differences, Ginger! I didn't realize that Ann's recipe was a denser, moister cake! Perfect for that caramel topping I like!

Lori

Bookmark   September 29, 2003 at 9:16AM
roselin32

My boat is just fine, Lori-and guess we just don't all like the same thing, huh??
Thanks for your concern though.
RL`

Bookmark   September 29, 2003 at 1:23PM
lorijean44

You're welcome, Roselin. ;-)

Lori

Bookmark   September 29, 2003 at 1:31PM
ginger_st_thomas

You're welcome, Lori. I'm sure you would like the more traditional gingerbread like Ann's.

Bookmark   September 29, 2003 at 5:11PM
Virginia7074

Ann T, do you use light or dark brown sugar in your caramel sauce? (I'm guessing light brown.) Thx.

Bookmark   September 29, 2003 at 8:09PM
ann_t

Virginia, I have made it with both, but I usually use the light brown because I always have it on hand.

Ann

Bookmark   September 29, 2003 at 10:21PM
gibby2015

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I was looking for something to have with an Asian meal - I don't really care for Asian desserts but my usual dessert fare didn't seem right with the rest of the menu. Came upon this and it was perfect - everyone loved it - with whipped cream. I've never made gingerbread and never would have thought of it but it is definitely something I'll make again.

Bookmark   November 6, 2005 at 4:04PM
ginger_st_thomas

Thanks for bringing this back up. I haven't made it in a long time but might do it this weekend. Glad you liked it, Gibby!

Bookmark   November 6, 2005 at 4:48PM
HanArt

OMG, this was too funny and a little sad. Guess I missed it the first time.

What ever happened to Bethintokyo and didn't I hear that Ilene was banned for some foolishness? Apparently she got caught in someone's web.

Bookmark   November 6, 2005 at 10:15PM
ginger_st_thomas

Not sad but very funny. No idea what happened to Beth or Ilene, CindyMac.

Bookmark   November 7, 2005 at 3:27AM
HanArt

Oh, I thought you might know about Ilene.

Bookmark   November 7, 2005 at 12:20PM
ginger_st_thomas

I don't know what you're trying to imply but I have no clue where Ilene is or what happened to her. The only thing I heard was someone was nasty to her & she left. It sure wasn't me if that's the case but I don't even know if that's true or not. Now just what is it you're hinting about?

Bookmark   November 8, 2005 at 3:19AM
jenn

I LOVE gingerbread, too bad Hubby isn't crazy about it. My dad likes it too. I like it warm with a lemon sauce on top. Thank you for sharing these recipes.

Jen

Bookmark   November 8, 2005 at 7:09PM
Shirley

Ginger, I seem to recall you posted a recipe for a three ginger gingerbread a few years ago, but I am not able to find my copy. Would you be good enough to share again?
Thanks so much!
Shirley

Bookmark   November 9, 2005 at 8:41PM
HanArt

Ginger, I wasn't implying anything. I thought she was your friend. Was just reminded that her post on Fahrenheit 9/11 apparently become fodder for someone looking to create trouble.

Bookmark   November 9, 2005 at 9:11PM
ginger_st_thomas

I haven't seen her around here in ages & never heard of a Fahrenheit 911 post.

Shirley, I can't find it but I'm still looking. Check the one below. The one above is the one I make when I get a craving now but I'll keep looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Triple ginger cake

Bookmark   November 10, 2005 at 5:00AM
Shirley

Ginger, thanks a bunch for this one, it looks good! I am such a ginger person...I buy handfuls from the Thai store and make crystallised ginger which I eat like candy, ginger syrup and ground ginger. Can't have too much ginger in the world! ;D
Thanks again,
Shirley

Bookmark   November 10, 2005 at 4:21PM
nancylouise_gw

Morning ladies, my family wants to make a gingerbread house this Christmas. This may be a dumb question but...is there a different recipe to use for GB houses than there is for the cake type of gingerbread. The GB that is used for houses seems flatter and more stiff. Thanks for any help. NancyLouise

Bookmark   November 21, 2005 at 10:30AM
ginger_st_thomas

Hi, Nancy. The gingerbread house recipe is a whole other thing. Check the link below to get an idea. I've never made one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gingerbread houses

Bookmark   November 21, 2005 at 3:43PM
nancylouise_gw

Thanks for the link Ginger, our local library is having a GB house making contest for the holiday fair. It all has to be edible except for the base it sits on. The kids want to enter and it sounds like a fun project for the family. Take care, NancyLouise

Bookmark   November 21, 2005 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: merita fruitcake
Some of you may remember a fruitcake sold by Merita...
bws1955
pistachio gelato
Hi, I got David Lebowitz's ice cream book and made...
alexh1000
LOOKING for: Chocolate pretzels
Looking for the directions for pretzels with Hershey...
Dee1
choc chip cookie recipe with pudding
Last Christmas I saw on here a recipe for choc chip...
sorie6
LOOKING for: chocolate chess pie
I am looking for the easy everyday cooking recipe for...
Tami73
Sponsored Products
Gaido's Famous Pecan Pie - N/A
$50.00 | Horchow
'Chef at Work' Chalkboard Personalized Decal
$24.99 | zulily
"Top Hat" with Six Truffles
$17.00 | Horchow
Perfect Dressing Recipe Bottle
$16.99 | zulily
Beaded Easter Egg with Foil-Wrapped Chocolates - RED/GOLD
$30.00 | Horchow