RECIPE: Black Cakes

Lisa_in_GermanySeptember 25, 2003

Was intrigued by the black cake recipes so went searching online. Ginger, do either of these sound authentic? They appear to have a lot more fruit in them than the other one posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Cake

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_st_thomas

Yeah, it does. Every old recipe down here varied so much because of availability of ingredients. It wouldn't surprise me about the Manishevitz wine. There's a large Jewish community here & our synagogue is (I think) the second oldest synagogue in our hemisphere. They've even kept the sand floors so I'm quite sure the wine available would be that brand. Dark rum would be what was used since rum is made in the V.I. The ones I've tasted had the fruit ground up so finely it was hard to tell which fruits they were - unlike what we think of as fruitcake.
I've never had one with almond paste or icing though, not that there aren't some made that way. Every family has their own method.

Bookmark   September 25, 2003 at 5:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bethintokyo

I make Black Cake every year. Three comments on the recipe -- the fruit should be soaked much longer (I start in August), and tedious though it may seem, the fruit needs to be chopped by hand. Using a mincer or a food processor means you end up with a gluey, sticky mess. Also with cherries it is no longer black.

I cook it about six weeks before we want to eat it, and 'feed' it regularly with rum.

We don't put any marzipan or icing on it, either.

Beth

Bookmark   September 26, 2003 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: Basic jelly roll, 2 or less eggs, non-dairy
Hi, all. It's unbelievable, how there still is no decent...
jally
RECIPE: new Orleans bread pudding
Looking for the best pudding recipe with brown sugar....
goldy
recipe: i found it
Just double checked my recipe box and found the "lost...
darrah
RECIPE: Pumpkin Dump Cake
Wanting to take Pumpkin Dump Cake to work and wondered...
cjwood
RECIPE: Irish Cream recipes
Please share any Irish Cream recipes that you've tried...
ruthz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™