LOOKING for: Typical 'American' Appetizers & Desserts???

sandy_in_iaSeptember 7, 2004

We will be having an "American Picnic" at our home next Monday night. We will have guys from China, Germany and Slovakia. Plus a bunch of couples from DH's work. About 22 all together. We will have appetizers early, and have the picnic about 8 (people had commitments earlier) of hot dogs, hamburgers, baked beans, potato salad and we are hoping to find some local 'good' sweet corn yet.

I need some ideas of what, as Jack from China says..."typical American family" appetizers. ANY and all ideas are welcome! I will be asking others to bring some as well, so if it is a recipe that you have, please add it here, and I will send it along for others.

Also, I am going to make a cake with the strawberries and blueberries laid on the top to look like an American flag. Any other "American" desserts? Besides apple pie?

I also made invitations with the American flag muted in back of the info, then have small China, Germany and Slovakia flags on them also.

I wish I would have had my head together around the 4th of July and picked up more red/white/blue things. "/ Any other "American" ideas???

THANKS!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
danain

Desserts: Ice cream for sure, brownies, cookies, chocolate cake, cheese cake.

Other american things, vegetable tray with dip and deviled eggs, shrimp cocktail, party mix, we really eat alot of salsa in this country.

Marilyn

Bookmark   September 7, 2004 at 6:13PM
ginger_st_thomas

LEMON BARS DELUXE
2 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
2 sticks butter
4 beaten eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together 2 cups of the flour & the confectioners' sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture clings together. Press the dough into a 13x9x2" baking dish. Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, beat together the eggs, granulated sugar & lemon juice. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup flour with the baking powder; stir into the egg mixture & pour over the hot baked crust. Bake for 25 minutes longer. Remove from the oven & sprinkle w/confectioners' sugar. Cool. Cut into squares.~~ Mountain Measures

Bookmark   September 7, 2004 at 6:38PM
lindac

What more typical American picnic dessert than home made icecream....and let the guests turn the dasher.
Appetisers? How about little smokies in that grape jelly mustard chili sauce mix....and things like sliced tomatoes....cucumbers with vinegar and salt pepper and sugar....and plain old cheese and crackers.
Linda C

Bookmark   September 8, 2004 at 9:30AM
VickiV

FYI, according to Greg Patent, author of Baking in America, "layer cakes are a quintessentially American creation".

Bookmark   September 8, 2004 at 7:53PM
ginger_st_thomas

There you go! What about a good old chocolate cake?

Bookmark   September 9, 2004 at 6:22AM
sandy_in_ia

THANKS for all your ideas! Chocolate cake...great, and what could be easier!?! And, with homemade ice cream!

Bookmark   September 9, 2004 at 10:51AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Recipe: Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
It is a good one, I have made it many times for many...
sheshe
RECIPE: basic jelly roll, 2 or less eggs, non-dairy
DELETED - CHANGING TO: LOOKING FOR This post was edited...
jally
RECIPE: chocolate/raspberry yogurt whip?
Hi! I am hoping someone knows of a recipe or has some...
cateyanne
LOOKING for: Basic jelly roll, 2 or less eggs, non-dairy
Hi, all. It's unbelievable, how there still is no decent...
jally
choc chip cookie recipe with pudding
Last Christmas I saw on here a recipe for choc chip...
sorie6
Sponsored Products
Madsen Leather Corner Chair - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture
Deerfield Onyx Oval: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Indoor/Outdoor Braided Rug
$339.00 | Bellacor
Privas Outdoor Area Rug
$99.00 | FRONTGATE
Serena & Lily Chevron Riviera Counter Stool
Serena & Lily
Elk Lighting Blown Glass Table Lamp - D268
$298.00 | Hayneedle